turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red dot scope for 835????

Started by bigcountry25, July 08, 2015, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcountry25

What Red Dot Scope would you suggest for Mossberg 835?

In my thread about a scope I was really wanting to know about a Red dot scope.

davisd9

Cannot help with red dot, any I have tried I did not care for. The fast fires have a good following.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dejake

After putting a FFIII on mine, I wouldn't consider anything else.

Turkeyman

I've used a red dot on my 835 for years...a Tasco. I've never had any issues whatsoever after many shots both patterning and hunting. It's in that $100 range. Now, a buddy has a cheaper one...BSA, I think, and he's never had issues. I bought a Mossberg 930 auto prior to this spring and bought another Tasco for it. No problems before or during season. I wanted a second gun for those out of state trips. So, sometimes I'll use the 835 (still have quite a few 3.5 shells) and sometimes I'll use the 930. The reliability of the red dot is no concern.

I also use a Tasco red dot on my bow, with HHA mount. It has served me well for quite a few deer.

Greg Massey

Bushnell TRS 25....best red dot for the money under 100 dollars ...its not a complete small circle but after shooting it a few times you will get the hang of it....I have had one for over 2 years on a mossberg with no problems. You don't have to have a 300 dollar red dot...

Tail Feathers

I have a TRS 25 on my 20 gauge, but I've run over a hundred 3.5" turkey loads thru my 835 with a Bushnell Trophy red dot on it.  And I bought the red dot used off Ebay 10 years ago.
Still holds zero and I've shot some 40 Nitro rounds thru it included in that number.  Nitros are probably the biggest bang/most pressure in 12 gauge turkey rounds.
It weighs a tad more but has the sunshield on it which I really like.  I can shoot it fine with both eyes open.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stinkpickle

I used a Burris FFIII on my BPS this year and really liked it.  I just put a Vortex SPARC II on my 500 to try out next year.

kyturkeyhunter4

I put a Sight Mark red dot on my Stoeger M3500 I love it. I got around a $120 bucks in it

BoWhoop

Quote from: bigcountry25 on July 08, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
What Red Dot Scope would you suggest for Mossberg 835?

In my thread about a scope I was really wanting to know about a Red dot scope.

I have a Burris FFIII on my 835.  I put a shim (very thin aluminum can material cut to size) under the sight to level it and provide more adjustment.  Zero problems.  Really allows you to get on target quick.  Batteries last all season.  Very light.

bigcountry25

Quote from: Turkey-Man on July 08, 2015, 03:03:25 PM
I've used a red dot on my 835 for years...a Tasco. I've never had any issues whatsoever after many shots both patterning and hunting. It's in that $100 range. Now, a buddy has a cheaper one...BSA, I think, and he's never had issues. I bought a Mossberg 930 auto prior to this spring and bought another Tasco for it. No problems before or during season. I wanted a second gun for those out of state trips. So, sometimes I'll use the 835 (still have quite a few 3.5 shells) and sometimes I'll use the 930. The reliability of the red dot is no concern.

I also use a Tasco red dot on my bow, with HHA mount. It has served me well for quite a few deer.

What model is the tasco?

Turkeyman

The two on my shotguns are the PDP3, one is the 25mm tube and the other 30mm. I imagine they're still in that $100 area. I'm not sure what model is on my bow but I just looked it up and saw it on Amazon for $30...it has the 30mm tube.  Personally, I find tube diameter irrelevant when you shoot a red dot as you should, i.e. both eyes open. I would have absolutely no qualms about mounting the cheaper one on my shotgun.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 08, 2015, 04:00:43 PM
Bushnell TRS 25....best red dot for the money under 100 dollars ...its not a complete small circle but after shooting it a few times you will get the hang of it....I have had one for over 2 years on a mossberg with no problems. You don't have to have a 300 dollar red dot...
Agree, put one on my 835 this year and really liked it.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

beagler

Never Misses