OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about Missouri

Started by JK Spurs, June 29, 2015, 10:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK Spurs

:agreed:
I'll be there the second week!
I like my turkey well peppered

dejake

GobbleNut

Quote from: dejake on July 08, 2015, 07:28:30 AM
::) Unbelievable

:angel9:  True,...my apologies to all for my participation in derailing the topic.  I will henceforth attempt to get a grip..... ;D

fallhnt

IMO if a state was serious about hunter retention/recruitment they would have , better youth seasons, early archery only seasons, all day hunting and fall seasons. This is why I enjoy my early spring hunts in KS. and NE. My home state of IL. is poor spring hunt for me, archery only on public land that has no restrictions for public use at any time. If your bird isn't down early you will start seeing the public by 8:00 am and I'm not talking about hunters. In the fall, public land is my favorite time to archery hunt turkey in IL. Hopefully educated people will make changes for the future of turkeys and turkey hunting as they see fit.Be safe.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

dejake

And why shouldn't public land be available and accessible to everyone all of the time?

davisd9

Why an early archery season? Dead is dead whether by arrow or shot.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GSLAM95

Quote from: dejake on July 08, 2015, 02:00:28 PM
And why shouldn't public land be available and accessible to everyone all of the time?

I am not positive on statewide but here in the county that I live there is no mushroom hunting allowed on public ground that you are allowed to turkey hunt until 1:00 pm each day of the entire turkey season.
In this area mushroom hunting is a huge event once the Morels start popping.  It is an amazing amount of people that ignore the state IDNR signs that are posted at the State areas that clearly state "NO Mushroom hunting until 1PM".

I don't disagree with allowing them access personally but if it's ok for them to be walking around mushroom hunting why can't we turkey hunt in the afternoon?  They say the turkeys need time to be undisturbed for nesting, I say BS to this as many other states have mushroom hunters and turkey hunters allowed in the woods all day long and the turkeys nest just fine.  As I mentioned in a previous post the philosophy the IDNR uses on their hunting hrs is hogwash!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

owlhoot

Quote from: dejake on July 08, 2015, 02:00:28 PM
SAFETY

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on July 08, 2015, 02:33:15 PM
Why an early archery season? Dead is dead whether by arrow or shot.

Sent from the Strut Zone
More opportunity if you choose to hunt with a bow. Less pressure for a quality hunt.
Deer and turkey in the fall earlier , so why not spring turkey?

dejake

I must have misunderstood Fallhnt's post.  I took it to mean that there's archery only on public land.  I can see restricting access for short periods while there's gun hunting.

I-55Bandit

I personally like the 1 p.m. closure and the 1 bird first week rule, keep the nonresidents going to KS and NE  :toothy9:

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: I-55Bandit on July 10, 2015, 09:49:36 AM
I personally like the 1 p.m. closure and the 1 bird first week rule, keep the nonresidents going to KS and NE  :toothy9:

I am a non-resident that has hunted MO consistently for 20+ years.  I have shed so much blood, sweat, tears, and made enough memories to last a lifetime that y'all need to just adopt me as a resident turkey hunter.  Doesn't seem that long ago we were paying $75 for a non-resident license.  I honestly don't know why MO would change anything about their turkey management?  The conservative structure provides for quality hunting.  I don't know how much an effect all day hunting would have on the quality, but why change a good thing? 

I have walked away from quite a few working gobblers at the 1:00 pm cut off.  Just adds to the experience of it all.  I like that they offer a youth weekend, but would be in favor of being allowed another the first week.  Early bow season....leave that for KS and bow hunt during the fall or regular spring season if choose to do so.

Hooksfan

Hookhanger,
Don't know why, but I'm gonna delve into this one.
Your comments on this board full of turkey hunters whose experiences exceeds yours is a pizzing match comparable to trying to "Out Catholic the Pope", and is the main reason these type boards are getting old for me.
If I were to guess,  I would say you are a younger fella.Here's my advice: Relax a little. You will enjoy the hunt much more. You don't build a hunting reputation by your own testimonials. Other people do that for you and it takes years to occur.
I have lived in Missouri for 18 years. There is no biological argument to maintain the 1 pm closure. Your rationale on why there may be changes coming is pure conjecture and unnecessarily conspiratorial. I am not a huge fan of MDC, but license sales are NOT their major source of income.
I have written letters to the regulations committee in regards to the Youth regulation prohibiting successful youth portion hunters from taking part in the first week of the regular season.
Glad you don't need to hunt after 1 pm to kill your birds. Why worry about how other folks may choose to hunt. My conjecture seems to point to the argument that most opposition to extending the 1 pm closure stems from the fear of someone else killing "my turkey".

Hook hanger

Quote from: Hooksfan on July 11, 2015, 08:16:17 AM
Hookhanger,
Don't know why, but I'm gonna delve into this one.
Your comments on this board full of turkey hunters whose experiences exceeds yours is a pizzing match comparable to trying to "Out Catholic the Pope", and is the main reason these type boards are getting old for me.
If I were to guess,  I would say you are a younger fella.Here's my advice: Relax a little. You will enjoy the hunt much more. You don't build a hunting reputation by your own testimonials. Other people do that for you and it takes years to occur.
I have lived in Missouri for 18 years. There is no biological argument to maintain the 1 pm closure. Your rationale on why there may be changes coming is pure conjecture and unnecessarily conspiratorial. I am not a huge fan of MDC, but license sales are NOT their major source of income.
I have written letters to the regulations committee in regards to the Youth regulation prohibiting successful youth portion hunters from taking part in the first week of the regular season.
Glad you don't need to hunt after 1 pm to kill your birds. Why worry about how other folks may choose to hunt. My conjecture seems to point to the argument that most opposition to extending the 1 pm closure stems from the fear of someone else killing "my turkey".

While you don't think there is a biological argument there is a quality hunt issue there. I and many others prefer quality hunting. My reasons why the changes are coming are the real reasons why MDC is going to go through with the changes. Its not about hunters having more time in the woods or if it will lesson the quality of hunting. Its only about out of state hunter tag sales. Yes I know its not the major source of income for them but they are looking at options to increase their income in all ways possible and this is one of them. I'm not trying to "out catholic any of the popes on this board" :TooFunny: I'm not trying to build some hunting reputation like a jack wagon prostaffer or something along those lines. Im just voicing my opinion why I don't like to see the changes that are coming. Well not sure if you consider a person born in the 70s as younger fella guess that depends on if you were born in the 60s or earlier i guess. I am not fearful of much reguarding hunting "the my turkey comment" but I always have a little fear when I have to approach trespassers or poachers with firearms in places their not supposed to be.

Hook hanger

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on July 10, 2015, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: I-55Bandit on July 10, 2015, 09:49:36 AM

I am a non-resident that has hunted MO consistently for 20+ years.  I have shed so much blood, sweat, tears, and made enough memories to last a lifetime that y'all need to just adopt me as a resident turkey hunter.  Doesn't seem that long ago we were paying $75 for a non-resident license.  I honestly don't know why MO would change anything about their turkey management?  The conservative structure provides for quality hunting.  I don't know how much an effect all day hunting would have on the quality, but why change a good thing? 

I have walked away from quite a few working gobblers at the 1:00 pm cut off.  Just adds to the experience of it all.  I like that they offer a youth weekend, but would be in favor of being allowed another the first week.  Early bow season....leave that for KS and bow hunt during the fall or regular spring season if choose to do so.

Good question  "why change or mess with something that already works very well".  And here is the worst part about changes. Once a change has been made more liberal towards hunting it is almost impossible to make it go back.