OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about Missouri

Started by JK Spurs, June 29, 2015, 10:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hook hanger

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 06, 2015, 10:10:07 AM
Quote from: Hook hanger on July 05, 2015, 10:52:02 PM

Why would you want the 1:00 closure to go till sunset. Do you honestly have trouble killing your birds with it in place. I haven't had any issues with the 1:00 closure and shooting my 2 birds for the past 30 years.

Sometimes, yes.  I've had to walk away from a gobbling bird five times in the last two years because of it.  And I'm not always around at sunrise.  No problem eventually getting the tags filled, but it takes multiple trips and putting more pressure on the properties than necessary.

Having to walk away from birds is part of hunting what are you going to do if you dont kill the bird before he flys back up into the tree for the night. Also Im not getting where you say it will be less pressure on your properties if your going to hunt past 1:00 then any time your there after that will be more pressure than you are already putting on your property now. I dont always go out at sunrise. I know of multiple times i have left town with folks or by myself and been back to town with birds in the back of the truck before it was even 1:00. The only reason MDC is even thinking about making it a sunset closure is to entice out of state hunters in to buy more tags. I would make a bet that the $190 tag price will increase again soon after they do it also.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 06, 2015, 01:29:59 PM

Why would you want the 1:00 closure to go till sunset. Do you honestly have trouble killing your birds with it in place. I haven't had any issues with the 1:00 closure and shooting my 2 birds for the past 30 years.

Sometimes, yes.  I've had to walk away from a gobbling bird five times in the last two years because of it.  And I'm not always around at sunrise.  No problem eventually getting the tags filled, but it takes multiple trips and putting more pressure on the properties than necessary.

... Im not getting where you say it will be less pressure on your properties if your going to hunt past 1:00 then any time your there after that will be more pressure than you are already putting on your property now...

In my experience, if I can fire up a tom at 1:00 in the afternoon, the odds are MUCH greater that he'll pay me a visit versus earlier in the morning when he's glued to hens.  If I tag him at 1:30PM and leave, there is less pressure applied to the farm by me not having to show up the next morning.

And this question, "what are you going to do if you dont kill the bird before he flys back up into the tree for the night?"  Seriously? 

Hook hanger

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 06, 2015, 05:08:57 PM

... Im not getting where you say it will be less pressure on your properties if your going to hunt past 1:00 then any time your there after that will be more pressure than you are already putting on your property now...

In my experience, if I can fire up a tom at 1:00 in the afternoon, the odds are MUCH greater that he'll pay me a visit versus earlier in the morning when he's glued to hens.  If I tag him at 1:30PM and leave, there is less pressure applied to the farm by me not having to show up the next morning.

And this question, "what are you going to do if you dont kill the bird before he flys back up into the tree for the night?"  Seriously?

Your wrong on the pressure thing. if you walk away at one and come back and kill next day in 30 min it would be the same pressure. If you killed your birds before 1:00 it would be less pressure. Yes Im serious on that question! You most likely are going to walk away is my guess.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 06, 2015, 10:08:23 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on July 06, 2015, 05:08:57 PM

Your wrong on the pressure thing. if you walk away at one and come back and kill next day in 30 min it would be the same pressure. If you killed your birds before 1:00 it would be less pressure. Yes Im serious on that question! You most likely are going to walk away is my guess.

It ain't the birds that are killable in the first 30 minutes that are the problem.  Those birds die on the first day, anyway.

Hook hanger

So your saying you cant kill one in the first 30 min on the third week? Ya your excuses are bs I can show you how that can be done on heavily hunted public ground even. MDC is not caring what or why you think a resident should hunt all day the only reason they are wanting to go to all day hunting is gain more non resident tag sales they are not in it for your quality of hunting or the game its self just tag sales is all their thinking at this time! 

stinkpickle

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 07, 2015, 09:41:11 AM
So your saying you cant kill one in the first 30 min on the third week? ...

Not always.  Maybe if I had a reaper umbrella where I could walk out into the middle of a field and shoot him off a hen...

Hook hanger

Ha maybe you just need to refine your calling skills you dont need to have some reaper decoy or even a hen decoy for that matter to call a bird in. It actually is pretty easy to call birds in the third week as long as ya dont sound like an idiot scratching on a call.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 07, 2015, 10:12:29 AM
Ha maybe you just need to refine your calling skills you dont need to have some reaper decoy or even a hen decoy for that matter to call a bird in. It actually is pretty easy to call birds in the third week as long as ya dont sound like an idiot scratching on a call.

Riiight.  I'll work on that.   ;)

Hook hanger

Im pretty sure there is not a thing wrong with the hunting hours the way they are if i can call in 18 birds that die not including the ones people missed in 21 days of season. I didn't even go out every day of the season either. I would say that is not a bad missouri season for me. I had to walk away from 2 that were at 65 yards and coming at 1:00 and the hunter just wanted me to finish them for the show and I told him not on my farm. I dont like to educate them any more than I have too. Days like that the birds win. I have hunted other states that are all day hunting and I sure as heck dont want to see missouri turned into one of those states.

stinkpickle

This year, we had toms glued to hens well into the third week.  Every tom in gun range was there because he followed a hen. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 07, 2015, 11:03:18 AM
Im pretty sure there is not a thing wrong with the hunting hours the way they are if i can call in 18 birds that die not including the ones people missed in 21 days of season. I didn't even go out every day of the season either. I would say that is not a bad missouri season for me. I had to walk away from 2 that were at 65 yards and coming at 1:00 and the hunter just wanted me to finish them for the show and I told him not on my farm. I dont like to educate them any more than I have too. Days like that the birds win. I have hunted other states that are all day hunting and I sure as heck dont want to see missouri turned into one of those states.
I don't really want to wade into this pissin' match, but,...I will anyway  ;D
Key words in this discussion are found in the "my farm" statement you have made above.  Even if you don't take into consideration the points made by others about some people having limited time to hunt and having to travel a long ways to do it, you are showing your hand with the "my farm" statement.  A lot of people don't have a "my farm" to hunt on where they can control hunting pressure, intrusions by others, and a whole host of other factors that affect the difficulty of success in hunting.   

Sure, anyone should be able to kill turkeys with ease if they can control all of the variables that make turkeys harder to kill. ....But a lot of folks do not have the apparent luxury that you do.  Many of us here have hunted some of the "my farm" situations,...and anybody that compares those situations with "real world" turkey hunting on pressured properties is just fooling themselves. 

If you dislike non-resident hunters, just say so.  But don't get all high and mighty about other peoples hunting skills and ability to kill turkeys because you apparently hunt on the local turkey farm. 

There is absolutely no biological reason for having shortened hunting hours.  For those with limited time or live a long ways from where they will be hunting, shortened hours just create a totally unnecessary obstacle to their success.   

Hook hanger

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 07, 2015, 01:13:33 PM
Quote from: Hook hanger on July 07, 2015, 11:03:18 AM

I don't really want to wade into this pissin' match, but,...I will anyway  ;D
Key words in this discussion are found in the "my farm" statement you have made above.  Even if you don't take into consideration the points made by others about some people having limited time to hunt and having to travel a long ways to do it, you are showing your hand with the "my farm" statement.  A lot of people don't have a "my farm" to hunt on where they can control hunting pressure, intrusions by others, and a whole host of other factors that affect the difficulty of success in hunting.   

Sure, anyone should be able to kill turkeys with ease if they can control all of the variables that make turkeys harder to kill. ....But a lot of folks do not have the apparent luxury that you do.  Many of us here have hunted some of the "my farm" situations,...and anybody that compares those situations with "real world" turkey hunting on pressured properties is just fooling themselves. 

If you dislike non-resident hunters, just say so.  But don't get all high and mighty about other peoples hunting skills and ability to kill turkeys because you apparently hunt on the local turkey farm. 

There is absolutely no biological reason for having shortened hunting hours.  For those with limited time or live a long ways from where they will be hunting, shortened hours just create a totally unnecessary obstacle to their success.

I call in and kill birds on public ground around me for myself, friends, and family members. So I dont always hunt "my farm" locations. My private ground is managed for out of state hunters that come and hunt with me. Yes it is a little more difficult on public ground but not enough that it matters. I have had to deal with as many trespassers on private ground as i have had to deal with other hunters on public ground. I have helped (pointed them in the right direction) nonresident hunters that i see driving around the public hunting areas around me.

Hook hanger

[/quote]

In my opinion it would be fine if we went to all day hunting If and only If MDC decided to go back to a two week season where you could only kill one bird each week like it used to be. MDC is planning to do all day hunting only for the fact that it will entice more out of state tag sales. Their only other option was to let hunters shoot both birds the same day to entice more out of state tag sales.

JK Spurs

Wow...sorry I started this post! I just wanted to know when Missouri season opens next year. I'm a non resident and heading your way next spring....can't wait to take a couple Missouri thunder chickens back to PA.
I like my turkey well peppered

stinkpickle

Quote from: JK Spurs on July 07, 2015, 06:35:51 PM
Wow...sorry I started this post! I just wanted to know when Missouri season opens next year. I'm a non resident and heading your way next spring....can't wait to take a couple Missouri thunder chickens back to PA.

Don't worry about the opener.  Just show up at the end and spend 30 minutes on public land.   ;D