turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about Missouri

Started by JK Spurs, June 29, 2015, 10:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK Spurs

When does the 2016 season start? I'm assuming it opens on 4/18/16 and closes on 5/8/16 but couldn't find anything on the net.
I like my turkey well peppered

Turkeyman

Yes, it may not be published on their web site yet but those dates fit their formula.

Neill_Prater

Yes, the season opens the 3rd Monday in April and runs 21 days. Limit of 2 birds, 1 only the first 7 days, season closes at 1:00 PM CDT, unless changes are made before next year, which isn't likely. I keep thinking the MDC will do away with that "1 bird the first week" nonsense, but it has been that way since I started chasing turkeys here in 1977. I suppose some things really are written in stone?

stinkpickle

Quote from: Neill_Prater on July 03, 2015, 09:55:20 AM
Yes, the season opens the 3rd Monday in April and runs 21 days. Limit of 2 birds, 1 only the first 7 days, season closes at 1:00 PM CDT, unless changes are made before next year, which isn't likely. I keep thinking the MDC will do away with that "1 bird the first week" nonsense, but it has been that way since I started chasing turkeys here in 1977. I suppose some things really are written in stone?

Yeah, I think they're a lot closer to lifting that 1:00PM cutoff than dropping the "one bird in the first week" limitation.

owlhoot

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 03, 2015, 11:08:05 AM
Quote from: Neill_Prater on July 03, 2015, 09:55:20 AM

Yeah, I think they're a lot closer to lifting that 1:00PM cutoff than dropping the "one bird in the first week" limitation.
Wasn't it all about keeping the hunter numbers low out there for a good turkey hunt?
The Monday opener kept the weekend crowd down, those that were successful ,couldn't hunt the weekend so there was not so many in the woods at the same time.
The 1:00 closing was to let the hens nest undisturbed.
Don't know if it has done much good or not.  Still seems to be a lot of pressure.
A longer season would be nice so everyone wouldn't be in such a rush to get done.
The youth who shoots in the the youth season and not being able to go until the second week is abit overboard i think though. But lets you know their train of thought.

stinkpickle

Yeah, I think the Monday opener and the one bird for the first week limit was intended to keep public land pressure under control...which completely makes sense.  That 1:00PM cutoff has been proven to be unnecessary, though.  Mushroom hunters take over and stomp out a lot more ground than turkey hunters do.  Besides, the less-than-hardcore turkey hunters often give up my 1:00PM anyway.

I agree that a longer season would be nice, since there can be such a big difference in breeding/nesting timing between the north half of the state and the south. 

owlhoot

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 03, 2015, 12:00:26 PM
Yeah, I think the Monday opener and the one bird for the first week limit was intended to keep public land pressure under control...which completely makes sense.  That 1:00PM cutoff has been proven to be unnecessary, though.  Mushroom hunters take over and stomp out a lot more ground than turkey hunters do.  Besides, the less-than-hardcore turkey hunters often give up my 1:00PM anyway.

I agree that a longer season would be nice, since there can be such a big difference in breeding/nesting timing between the north half of the state and the south.
Right on the mushroom hunters for sure. Crazy thing is  a lot don't wait til 1.  of course that late in the morning i may be walking and talking trying to get a response, but while leaning on the tree my eyes seem to be looking on the ground. turkey vest has been stuffed full many times, but since i am there. Sure would be nice to start earlier , late march- early April. Some years they are going nuts then.

Neill_Prater

My argument is that because of the one bird limit the first week, virtually every nonresident hunter who comes to Missouri waits until the first weekend to do so. If one could limit out the first week, many of those hunters would be back home before the weekend. I just personally feel it is one of those regulations based on good intentions, but in reality does little to enhance the experience for anyone.

As for the 1:00 closer, it is my understanding science has pretty well disproved the validity of the argument regarding nesting hens. As for why the MDC still won't legalize all day hunting, I don't have a clue. I remember a lot of debate regarding the adding of the 3rd week back 15 years or so ago. Some thought the sky would fall then, but it didn't. I'm guessing a change to all day hunting would be similar in that after a couple of years, few would think negatively toward it.

GSLAM95

What MO has is better than what we have right across the river here in IL.  You want to talk about a nightmare try 4 lottery drawings for 5 seasons and county specific!
As for here and any other state with a good turkey population I would like to see it opened up to hunt 3 weeks 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset, 2 bird limit and be able to kill both in the same day if you have the opportunity or desire to do so.
I agree with others on the mushroom hunter aspect of being in the woods.  Many of us like to hunt mushrooms as well and the theory of not disturbing nesting hens in the afternoon is BS as I hunt several states that are open to all day hunting that have just as good or in many cases better hunting than ours.

As for theory on multiple birds in the same day - How many times could we all have killed out in one set up when multiple birds come in?  Those same birds that walk away with a call and or decoy education could already have tags wrapped around their legs and those of us who like to hunt multiple states could be on the road.  Just my  :z-twocents:
Good luck hunting to all...

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Neill_Prater on July 04, 2015, 01:28:46 AM

My argument is that because of the one bird limit the first week, virtually every nonresident hunter who comes to Missouri waits until the first weekend to do so. If one could limit out the first week, many of those hunters would be back home before the weekend. I just personally feel it is one of those regulations based on good intentions, but in reality does little to enhance the experience for anyone.

As for the 1:00 closer, it is my understanding science has pretty well disproved the validity of the argument regarding nesting hens. As for why the MDC still won't legalize all day hunting, I don't have a clue. I remember a lot of debate regarding the adding of the 3rd week back 15 years or so ago. Some thought the sky would fall then, but it didn't. I'm guessing a change to all day hunting would be similar in that after a couple of years, few would think negatively toward it.

Indeed, a LOT of nonresidents target that first full weekend, so anybody else able to hunt the first Monday thru Friday gets a little jumpstart.  Although it's inconvenient for me, I'll take it and go with it.  That 1:00PM cutoff has gotta go, though.  ;)

owlhoot

Quote from: GSLAM95 on July 04, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
What MO has is better than what we have right across the river here in IL.  You want to talk about a nightmare try 4 lottery drawings for 5 seasons and county specific!
As for here and any other state with a good turkey population I would like to see it opened up to hunt 3 weeks 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset, 2 bird limit and be able to kill both in the same day if you have the opportunity or desire to do so.
I agree with others on the mushroom hunter aspect of being in the woods.  Many of us like to hunt mushrooms as well and the theory of not disturbing nesting hens in the afternoon is BS as I hunt several states that are open to all day hunting that have just as good or in many cases better hunting than ours.

As for theory on multiple birds in the same day - How many times could we all have killed out in one set up when multiple birds come in?  Those same birds that walk away with a call and or decoy education could already have tags wrapped around their legs and those of us who like to hunt multiple states could be on the road.  Just my  :z-twocents:
Good luck hunting to all...
Quality of the hunt.  Fewer hunters in the woods, Monday opener i believe started when non-residents were not even a factor. The more serious turkey hunters took it off if possible. Many were very happy just to get 1 tom in the spring.
Could have killed 2 toms many times in one setup, but then , heck i already have seen the show, the anticipation, gobbling and strutting. Letting the other Tom go to gobble the next day or week and do it all over again, fun. Ben Lee, if i could breath life back into him for another day! :icon_thumright:
Shot 2 birds same day in Kansas a time or two, season ended too short for me so stopped doing it. But i don't get the opportunity to hunt many states either. If i don't get another ,  I tried and had fun.
Would like to see all day hunting, longer season and let the kids in on the first week even after a successful youth season.
But I guess we got it pretty good here?  Illinois sure sounds like a headache, wouldn't like that.

Hook hanger

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 05, 2015, 01:13:38 AM
Quote from: Neill_Prater on July 04, 2015, 01:28:46 AM

Indeed, a LOT of nonresidents target that first full weekend, so anybody else able to hunt the first Monday thru Friday gets a little jumpstart.  Although it's inconvenient for me, I'll take it and go with it.  That 1:00PM cutoff has gotta go, though.  ;)

Why would you want the 1:00 closure to go till sunset. Do you honestly have trouble killing your birds with it in place. I haven't had any issues with the 1:00 closure and shooting my 2 birds for the past 30 years.

SinGin

If you don't have a problem killing your birds at the crack of dawn, then why do you care what the rest of us do???.
If you need some reasons, rain in the morning, family obligations, time from work, or my personal favorite is I just hate to get up before the crack of dawn. So just pick one

stinkpickle

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 05, 2015, 10:52:02 PM

Why would you want the 1:00 closure to go till sunset. Do you honestly have trouble killing your birds with it in place. I haven't had any issues with the 1:00 closure and shooting my 2 birds for the past 30 years.

Sometimes, yes.  I've had to walk away from a gobbling bird five times in the last two years because of it.  And I'm not always around at sunrise.  No problem eventually getting the tags filled, but it takes multiple trips and putting more pressure on the properties than necessary.

LI Outdoorsman

I got the same resistance when I posted this issue on a NY forum board. I would love if NY changed the 12:00 cutoff to sunset. I live far from where I hunt and it would give me more chances at filling a tag on less trips...Many..many times I've walked away from a gobbling bird to stay legal...A tag filled is a tag filled if you ask me...it would probably add up to LESS pressure in the nesting woods if you figured it all out..Once a tag gets filled your done..one less hunter in the woods that season..
And honestly in 18 years of chasing turkeys I still don't always get it done in the morning..