turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Supreme court vote

Started by Greg Massey, June 26, 2015, 02:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybeard11

Even if you agree with this issue, it should concern you that the federal government is making these decisions for all of us without regard to state's, or individual rights to self government. There is no "we the people" in these decisions.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

Big Guy

Quote from: Greybeard11 on July 02, 2015, 12:49:42 PM
Even if you agree with this issue, it should concern you that the federal government is making these decisions for all of us without regard to state's, or individual rights to self government. There is no "we the people" in these decisions.

This is more my concern

Rick Howard

For arguments sake,  Should our government force our religious beliefs on others?  Please correct me if I am wrong, one core principle this country was founded on is freedom of religious oppression.  For me to ask the US government to make my religion law would be Un-American to me. 

davisd9

Quote from: Rick Howard on July 02, 2015, 03:03:16 PM
For arguments sake,  Should our government force our religious beliefs on others?  Please correct me if I am wrong, one core principle this country was founded on is freedom of religious oppression.  For me to ask the US government to make my religion law would be Un-American to me.

The main argument on this vote is State's Rights and not religion, when it comes to how to constitution is read.

The supreme courts job is to uphold the constitution and not make laws.  Too bad we do not have more Justices like Justice Thomas who reads the constitution as it is written and does not try to make out that it secretly means this.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

USMC0331

Quote from: davisd9 on July 02, 2015, 03:12:56 PM
Quote from: Rick Howard on July 02, 2015, 03:03:16 PM

The main argument on this vote is State's Rights and not religion, when it comes to how to constitution is read.

The supreme courts job is to uphold the constitution and not make laws.  Too bad we do not have more Justices like Justice Thomas who reads the constitution as it is written and does not try to make out that it secretly means this. :happy0064: :happy0064:

Rick Howard

I understand the purpose of all courts.  I am well educated, a paralegal, and married to a lawyer (a female lol).  I have yet to read the ruling but from what I have heard, the court did exactly what it was asked.  It ruled on the constitutionality of state laws banning same sex marriage.  Or was there more?

But, my original question was whether I should be imposing my religion on others.  I often read the basis of people convictions against same sex marriage is their religion.  I do not believe that I, or anyone else, has the right to ask the US government to force my religious beliefs on anyone.

I would rather people be free to do as they please, so long as it does not negatively impact others financially, physically, or way of life.  The will of the majority should not infringe on the minority in these areas. 

davisd9

Quote from: Rick Howard on July 02, 2015, 04:13:46 PM
I understand the purpose of all courts.  I am well educated, a paralegal, and married to a lawyer (a female lol).  I have yet to read the ruling but from what I have heard, the court did exactly what it was asked.  It ruled on the constitutionality of state laws banning same sex marriage.  Or was there more?

But, my original question was whether I should be imposing my religion on others.  I often read the basis of people convictions against same sex marriage is their religion.  I do not believe that I, or anyone else, has the right to ask the US government to force my religious beliefs on anyone.

I would rather people be free to do as they please, so long as it does not negatively impact others financially, physically, or way of life.  The will of the majority should not infringe on the minority in these areas. 

So what is your stance on the bakers that refuse to do a homosexual cake because of their freedom of religion and were sued to the point the business is about to fold? Should the baker's have the right to deny service on their unalienable right of freedom of religion or should they have been punished for their beliefs?

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

stinkpickle

Quote from: davisd9 on July 02, 2015, 04:34:06 PM

So what is your stance on the bakers that refuse to do a homosexual cake because of their freedom of religion and were sued to the point the business is about to fold? Should the baker's have the right to deny service on their unalienable right of freedom of religion or should they have been punished for their beliefs?

Sent from the Strut Zone

Ironically, that falls within the context of state anti-discrimination laws.   

davisd9

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 02, 2015, 04:59:30 PM

Sent from the Strut Zone

So it falls down to, I can discriminate upon you but you cannot upon me because I am of a special group.

Should be the same down the board.

Sent from the Strut Zone

stinkpickle

Quote from: davisd9 on July 02, 2015, 07:43:39 PM

Sent from the Strut Zone

So it falls down to, I can discriminate upon you but you cannot upon me because I am of a special group.

Sent from the Strut Zone

I guess it all depends on how you're categorized.  Although technically, it would be against the law in many states to refuse service just because a person is a Christian, white male...but that's never really been an issue.

davisd9

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 02, 2015, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on July 02, 2015, 07:43:39 PM

Sent from the Strut Zone

Sent from the Strut Zone

I guess it all depends on how you're categorized.  Although technically, it would be against the law in many states to refuse service just because a person is a Christian, white male...but that's never really been an issue.

Yes, you are correct.

Sent from the Strut Zone

BowBendr

^^ And that response right there is the reason I can't fly my confederate flag, because people think I am just like you. America don't have time for your racist bull pelosi rants like this. We tried to keep this civil, and you had to wade in and muck it up. If you feel that way, keep that crap to yourself man, I don't like Obama either, but that was uncalled for......

2015 Old Gobbler contest champions

davisd9

Quote from: warrent423 on July 02, 2015, 09:40:09 PM
To hell with the fags, dykes, and all that support them. Those justices would swing from a rope if it where up to me. ;) I'd run an extra rope for that treasonist, muslim basturd in the white house as well.

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?" Jesus said to him, " 'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:36-40 NKJV)

Love does not mean you agree with something a person does or a way a person lives but that you want the best for them at all cost.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Rick Howard

I Believe a business should be allowed to operate how it chooses so long as it does not negatively effect others finacially, physically, or prevent their way of life.  So I would like for those bakers to have the choice to choose their customers.

BowBendr

Quote from: warrent423 on July 02, 2015, 11:38:21 PM
Quote from: BowBendr on July 02, 2015, 09:58:03 PM
^^ And that response right there is the reason I can't fly my confederate flag, because people think I am just like you. America don't have time for your racist bull pelosi rants like this. We tried to keep this civil, and you had to wade in and muck it up. If you feel that way, keep that crap to yourself man, I don't like Obama either, but that was uncalled for......

You could never be like me. I'm not afraid to offend those that need offending ;)We fly a Stars and Stripes over a Stainless Banner with a Bar at my house here in Tn., as well as back home in FL. I've got kin that have been killed in action for both. Black, white, yellow, race has nothing to do with it to me. When the highest court in the land becomes corrupted to the point of no return and refuses to uphold their constitutional duty to this country, I believe they should be tried and convicted of a treasonous act and put to death. Of course, this is just the opinion of this God fearing, red blooded, traditional American "Patriot". Did I mention to hell with the fags, dykes, and all those who support them. Nancy Pelosi doesn't even know what state she is in :laugh:

Yep, you are correct. I could never be like you. I can articulate my position on politics and social issues without making us all look like what they claim we are. I am firm enough in my convictions to spread my message without calling people names or being vile.....