OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fastfire III reliability

Started by Fieldturkey, June 17, 2015, 08:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldturkey

Guys how reliable are these? I know tons of people use them so they must be ok but the skeptic in me worries about holding zero. Are the solid? How well do they hold zero?

Rapscallion Vermilion

In my experience with my two and my buddy's (his gun and loads kick something fierce), they hold zero very well.  Burris has a lifetime warranty that extends beyond the original owner.  I had one for two years that starting having problems with the on/off switch.  Burris replaced it straight up and quickly with a brand new one. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Fieldturkey on June 17, 2015, 08:37:29 PM
Guys how reliable are these? I know tons of people use them so they must be ok but the skeptic in me worries about holding zero. Are the solid? How well do they hold zero?

I've owned all the generations of the FF sights and the current models are the best. They've made incremental improvements in each of them. The really good news is that all "dot" type sights are much better than they were just a few years go.. Even inexpensive ones are very good with long battery life, much easier to adjust and hold their zero.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Jbird22

Can't comment on the FF3 but my FF2 is solid as a dollar! It has been put to the test and then some I assure you!

dejake

I was wondering the same thing.  I'll be flying next spring, and you know how baggage gets treated by the airlines.  How has the zero been after flying, for those of you that have flown?  Thanks

Rockhound

Burris isn't very reliable period

USMC0331

Quote from: Rockhound on June 18, 2015, 11:18:45 AM
What problems did you have with them?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: dejake on June 18, 2015, 04:50:17 AM
I was wondering the same thing.  I'll be flying next spring, and you know how baggage gets treated by the airlines.  How has the zero been after flying, for those of you that have flown?  Thanks
I've flown with mine one round trip from NM to MA.  Southwest Airlines. Pelican case.  No problem at all.

Rockhound

Quote from: USMC0331 on June 18, 2015, 11:47:32 AM

There is a reason they are no longer sponsors of this site,  they will screw you when they get the chance

Crawl79

I have never had mine fail and can't find anything to complain.
Had my turkey gun stolen this year and had to use a friends gun on my Midwest trip and had an instance where battery failed on me. I put in a new battery before trip because I can't see not having red dot on at all times when in woods. Never know when a bird will surprise you.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Rockhound on June 18, 2015, 09:22:02 PM
Quote from: USMC0331 on June 18, 2015, 11:47:32 AM

There is a reason they are no longer sponsors of this site,  they will screw you when they get the chance

I don't know the story of what happened there, and it is unfortunate that they are no longer have a presence here, but when they were, their site rep, Mart, went out of his way to help me when the gunsmith that tapped my receiver screwed up and offset one of the screw holes.  They machined an offset 336 mount for me to put me back on alignment, no charge, and then had me offer up the good base for free on here.

Jbird22

I understand there were problems with them not providing prizes they had committed to but the product itself is solid and anyone I've ever heard deal with their CS was taken care of.

sixbird

I've had a few Burris products and they've all been solid and reliable. Can't speak about customer service since I haven't needed it. The guy who used to be on here as rep. was very helpful regarding mounting options for FF III.
I wouldn't worry one tiny bit about FF. I've had one on my Benelli for a couple of years and I swear by it. Some of those turkey loads are beastly and the FF III has held up well...I say, go for it man! I think you'll be very satisfied with FF...

xarcher

Not to sound smart guys but my 55 year old eyes have served me well with open sights. Would guess it has been at least 10 years and 35 birds since they failed me on the first shot.  And some of those shots were left handed. A buddy of mine missed one at 20 walking right down the gun barrel this past season. And the only thing he could figure is he peeked and ended up shooting high. So his solution was to go out the next day and buy a red dot. No, the solution is get down on your gun the same way on a bird as you do on a target and don't peek. And I had another buddy who missed with a FFIII and we went home to check it on paper. It was 8 inches off from where it was the week before.   

Switched to a 20 gage a few years ago and the TSS and choke combo on that gun throws the pattern 8 inches low at 30 yards. I am batting 11 for 11 the last 3 years and I have to do a hold over.  Take the time to know your gun and be consistent. Save the $260 

Sorry if I offended anybody.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

sixbird

Don't think anybody will be offended by your post...I guess it comes down to preference. I have had my gun for quite a few years and I guess I could say that generally, mostly everything I shot at, I hit. There were a few exceptions. I might miss one or two a year due to contorted body positions or, like you said, not looking down the barrel. Problem is, I don't like going to all the effort for the few opportunities I get and then missing one every so often. Now, with the Longbeard XR's shooting tennis ball patterns at 15 yds., I like that extra precision...
Like I say, personal preference, but I'll go for precision and the FF III has done wonders in that respect for me...