OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

7mm-08 or .243?

Started by beagler, June 07, 2015, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

The .243 is great and one of my favorites but the 7mm08 has similar recoil and is more versatile.  Either choice will be great for your daughter, or any shooter for that matter.

Fieldturkey

Either will be just fine. Both are tough little rounds.

longbeards

I love both rounds, own several 243 and a couple 7mm08. I am a 243 fan, have used one for almost 50 years! Shoot the 100gr bullet at around 3000fps and it will kill any deer! I shoot handloads with Remington Corloc bullets..Having raised 4 kids I can assure you it is a great rifle to start them with. My 3 boys are out of the house and still 243 fans, my oldest has a 2 year old and he just bought a Ruger Compact in 243 for her!! No matter what you choose you are doing the right thing by getting that kid out in the woods!! best longbeads wv

Tail Feathers

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on June 07, 2015, 02:18:19 PM
I would go with the 7mm-08 personally.  I like having a little more lead traveling down range.
My thoughts on it exactly.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hunter22

I went with a .260 Remington in a Model 7 for my son when he was small. He is an adult now and it is still one of his favorite rifles. This might be a good compromise between the .243 and 7MM-08. 

TauntoHawk

I bought my wife a savage 7mm-08 it shot so well and did such a good job at dropping deer I use it everytime she's not in the woods with me.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

born2hunt

Before turkey season started I bought my kids a youth 20 ga and a Savage youth in 7mm-08. Due to being busy with turkey season I haven't shot or scoped it yet but my thinking is the same as yours. According to the recoil charts the managed loads in the 08 have less recoil than standard rounds in 243. And when they're ready, you just throw a standard load down the pipe and they got themselves a full grown deer slayer. I too have seen and heard of way to many losses with the smaller 243. Now I have never hunted with either one and would not be worried about the 243 for myself with careful shot placement but I wont be handing one to my young hunters for their first kills.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

kyturkeyhunter4

I would go with the 7mm -08 it's a great deer gun. My son has killed a bunch of deer with his, and it has hardly any recoil to it. His is the winchester model 70

Cut N Run

Your daughter will continue to grow into that rifle, so if you intend to get one that she'll keep and will use the rest of her life, I wouldn't rule out the .308 either. 

Each of those cartridges you mentioned is based on the .308 case.  In my experience the .243 works on deer, but lacks the knock down power of a bigger bullet. You'd better develop your tracking skills, because you'll get to use them with a .243.  My best friend shoots a 7mm/08 and does very well with it. It is definitely a deer hammer. The .308 is really versatile and also has more factory bullet options than the others.  Recoil difference between all of them isn't huge until you start to move up above 150 grains in bullet weight in the .308. 

I've been hunting with the .308 for 36 years and have killed loads of deer with it. I have yet to lose a deer with it and seldom have to search much for them after the shot.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

davisd9

Remember with the advancement of bullets any caliber you buy can easily kill deer sized game and be a go to rifle for a lifetime.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spitten and drummen

both great whitetail rounds. personally I prefer a 243. I have killed a pile of deer with that round . all comes down to shot placement though.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RemingtonRules

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 08, 2015, 09:03:34 AM
both great whitetail rounds. personally I prefer a 243. I have killed a pile of deer with that round . all comes down to shot placement though.

I agree, I have a friend that shoots a 300 win magnum.  I track and never find the deer he shoots.  I just walk over and load up my deer shot with my .243.  No caliber is a magic solution for poor shooting.  That is why it is important to find one they shoot well.

SCGobbler

In SC, the .243 is just on the verge of what is not allowed.  Its a smaller round than the 7mm.08, but the 7mm.08 packs a much bigger punch for a little bit more recoil.

the .243, and the 7mm.08 have similar trajectories if memory servers, but the pounds per square inch at the same distance was not comparable at all.  Much more impact with the 7mm.08.

My vote is the 7mm.08!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Rick Howard

My vote is .243.  It's a good deer gun.  I shoot deer with 100gr remington Coe lok factory ammo.  It's a great wood chuck or coyote gun and not as devastating on fox pelts as most would say.   At most  places .243 ammo is very available and in variety.

Getdrove101

I shoot a 243 and I have killed a mess of deer with it in 17 years. I think I've lost 2. Comes down to shooting. I have 2 daughters that will probably start with the 7mm08. My lil bro has the youth model and it will bust em down with lil recoil. Some kids will shoot better than others but I feel like you should give them all the lead they can handle to build their confidence. I think if a kid looses a few they may start doubting theirself or worse, loose interest. Just my .02, not hating on either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk