OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

7mm-08 or .243?

Started by beagler, June 07, 2015, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagler

Think I'm going to purchase a Ruger American Compact for my 9yr old daughter. Now my question is a 7mm-08 or .243? Was considering the 7mm-08 with managed recoil ammo (I don't reload). She isn't a tiny framed girl, she took her first turkey a few weeks back shooting a 20ga Mossberg 510 Mini. I'd like to get her a deer this year next.
Never Misses

Gooserbat

.243, no need for special ammo. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Model 37

Get the 7mm-08. My son has shot the manage recoil since he was 9 and it's a great load. He has killed a bunch of deer that gun.

wisconsinteacher

I would go with the 7mm-08 personally.  I like having a little more lead traveling down range.

reynolds243

243 but both are great rounds. 243 can go from deer hunting to crow hunting all using the same ammo which is nice

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

Xtrema30

all I've ever shot is a 7mm08 and you can't go wrong with it. I've been in camp and trailed way to many deer with a 243. i still shoot a 7mm08 and will continue too. If you can make the shot theres a good deal most of your deer will be right there or within 50 or 60 yards.  I've killed my share and id say over 75% have laid in their tracks. you will get those that say a 7mm08 is a kids gun but i mean with a 7mm bullet and a 308 casing whats kids about that. plus the recoil with the winchester power point 140 grain i shoot is hardly any.

mikejd

Quote from: Xtrema30 on June 07, 2015, 02:38:47 PM
all I've ever shot is a 7mm08 and you can't go wrong with it. I've been in camp and trailed way to many deer with a 243. i still shoot a 7mm08 and will continue too. If you can make the shot theres a good deal most of your deer will be right there or within 50 or 60 yards.  I've killed my share and id say over 75% have laid in their tracks. you will get those that say a 7mm08 is a kids gun but i mean with a 7mm bullet and a 308 casing whats kids about that. plus the recoil with the winchester power point 140 grain i shoot is hardly any.

Same here. I dont think 243 is enough gun for deer. I know there will be some disagreement but unless your shot is perfect your going to be out in the dark with flashlights. 7MM-08 great deer round.

30_06

Another vote for the .243 here. Have killed a lot of whitetail, mule deer, antelope, and black bear across several states with that caliber. My oldest daughter uses it as well.
If you make a bad shot with any caliber you will be looking for game. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

FL-Boss

7mm08 is what I hunt with most the time. Also like the 25-06 on the long action side...

If she is ok shooting that 20ga and turkey load, she will be just fine with a 7mm08 .

Chilly

7mm-08.  Recoil isn't that much different.

Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Greg Massey

Get the 308 with the horndy lite ammo...308 ammo will always be easy to fine and cheaper... ive got a 9 yr. Old that loves it...

davisd9

I love my little 243 win. With Barnes 80 gr bullets she is as deadly on deer sized game as any other rifle out there, and no where the punch. I am a hard follower of the 270 win but my 243 is not far behind.

7mm-08 is a great round as well! Either will do a great job. Just make sure the stock fits the shooter.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ccleroy

7mm-08, and get some Barnes TTSX 120 grains........thank me later

SteelerFan

I'm a .270 man myself, BUT I started my deer career with a 6mm (.244) and killed plenty with that 100 gr. nosler partition. That being said, for my son when he first started, I bought him a Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter in 7mm-08. He still loves that rifle. He's grown, and we've added a sims recoil pad to lengthen the stock, but man-o-man what a sweet deer rifle to tote around the mountains. I had hoped that he would "outgrow" that rifle and want Dad's .270 (and I would take his)...but no such luck! ;)

Hard to argue against the 7mm-08 as the perfect whitetail caliber. Good luck in your quest!

(perfect scenario: find a buddy or two that has one of each and let her shoot at the range before you buy)

USMC0331

Either will work just as good as the other. 243 ammo will be easier to find than 7mm-08. A soft point or the Barnes Vortex or TTSX in either will kill deer. Shot placement is king.