turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

another hearing help thread

Started by 2eagles, June 07, 2015, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I posted this on a waterfowl forum and got only wise crack answers. I'll repost here to see what happens....

I got new hearing aids today and I'm going insane. Like most, I didn't realize how much of my hearing I'd lost over the years. Not entirely from shooting with unprotected ears, but that certainly was part of my problem. Well today sounds that I couldn't hear seem very loud. Fans, water running, sparrows and even my pups dog tags rattling seem very loud. The aids can be adjusted to make that noise less bothersome and I can turn them less powerful, but then what's the point of having them. My question to you who have gone through what I am now..... Will I get used to the changes any time soon?

And to you younger, smarter than me shooters protect your ears. You only get two and you need them both.

allaboutshooting

Good post.

For many years I shot handguns on combat courses, 7 yards, 15 yards and 25 yards, strong hand, weak hand, 5 rounds, then reload, etc. the way we did it in the dark ages. At that time no one wore hearing protection. You just accepted the fact that your ears would ring after you'd shot.

I remember reading about some shooter who used the kind of erasers that slip over a pencil, when the original eraser has been worn out, at ear plugs. I got some, they sure looked funny but they worked somewhat.

For many years I did not notice any reduction in my ability to hear. One day I took my Model 29 S&W .44 magnum to the range and since it was very cold and windy, I stood beside a large building that blocked the wind to shoot. By that time I'd started to wear ear plugs and sometimes even muffs. I remember shooting that gun 6 times and then removing the plugs. The world was very quiet and I realized that I could barely hear anything, It took almost 24 hours for my hearing to return to a level that was somewhat normal.

Over the last several decades I've fired countless rounds from all kinds of guns. I've worn hearing protection of various kinds but still have lost a good bit of hearing in my left ear. The nerves have been damaged and most of the time I hear "crickets" or a constant ringing.

The damage done over many years can not be reversed and like has been said, I'd encourage everyone to wear good hearing protection, every time you shoot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

silvestris

Wear your hearing aids from the moment you rise until you retire for the night.  The new sounds that bother you so much at first will soon become the new normal.  I would not suggest under any circumstances working your way into them.  You have to retrain your brain and constantly wearing your hearing aids is the only way to retrain the brain.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

sixbird

Well, 2eagles, I have substantial hearing loss. It's genetic and shooting induced. I tried hearing aids while I was still working and absolutely couldn't stand it in that environment! It's difficult for a hearing abled person to understand just how disorienting and annoying it is to be able to actually hear.
Having not heard for years, I decided to buy a Walkers Game Ear. I stepped out onto my porch with it in and was absolutely dumbfounded by all that was going on! Birds, far off traffic noise, jets,voices,wind...WOW!!!
Now, I have two and use them whenever I hunt or shoot. They make the experience so much richer. AND, I can actually hear turkeys gobbling!
I haven't made the leap to full time aids. I kind of enjoy my quiet little world but I know I miss a lot...One of these days, I'll do it and I'm sure I'll wonder why I hadn't done it sooner.
Everyone I know who has them says they felt somewhat under assault at first but now, they can't imagine living without them...

KyLongbeardhunter

Have your audio people turn aids volume down for a couple of weeks until you can get somewhat adjusted to being able to hear, I understand you can adjust your volume but its not exactly the same. There is a lot to get use to at one time ,kind of get you disoriented. However it just takes a little time and determination