turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My New/Old Mabry Box

Started by Spring Creek Calls, June 07, 2015, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

I recently purchased a Lonnie Mabry walnut over mahogany box from the classifed section. She was a bit stained and faded in spots from what looked like insect repellent and possibly water. I took it apart and lightly sanded it with 600 grit and sprayed a couple coats of semi gloss poly on it. She came out lookin good! I have a lot of box calls and this is one of the best.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Spring Fever

She's a beauty Mike. I saw that hit the classifieds and you beat me to it. LOL I have that same call in wood config and its my favorite. You scored a true killer.

KentuckyHeadhunter

They are among the best boxes I have ever played.  Although I have found the finish to be quite intolerant of moisture and things.  I never had the courage to refinish one. Glad it worked out for you.  After only one season mine looks like it was dragged behind a truck and dunked in kerosene.  I have several of his that I don't take in the woods though like a beautiful cherry over willow.  That man makes long boxes, short boxes, pots, tongues, scratchers, pegs, wingbones, cane yelpers, and great strikers.  He can do it all. He is truly a legend around these parts of North GA.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 07, 2015, 03:49:27 PM
They are among the best boxes I have ever played.  Although I have found the finish to be quite intolerant of moisture and things.  I never had the courage to refinish one. Glad it worked out for you.  After only one season mine looks like it was dragged behind a truck and dunked in kerosene.  I have several of his that I don't take in the woods though like a beautiful cherry over willow.  That man makes long boxes, short boxes, pots, tongues, scratchers, pegs, wingbones, cane yelpers, and great strikers.  He can do it all. He is truly a legend around these parts of North GA.

I would love one of his long boxes if you ever get near his shop. I would gladly make it worth your time and effort.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

mgm1955