OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey choke with 3" mag. shells

Started by kbbgood, June 04, 2015, 07:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbbgood

I would love to here what you guys say about your choke tubes (Which tubes) and do they really help with recoil? Using 3" mag. shells and your turkey gun, how long is your barrels?

I have a Remington 870 Express Mag. with 24" barrel and the extra full Remington choke tubes. Not ported it just plain hurts using Remington Nitro 3" #6's. I even changed the recoil pad to the Limbsaver pad. Still not much better.

Clif Owen

Actually..I don't think he can.
I don't know if there are any choke tubes that help with recoil.

BandedSpur

No choke tube is going to help. Only thing that will lessen the felt recoil is a heavier gun, a gas operated autoloader, or some sort of recoil absorbing stock.

Or you could handload TSS. My 2.75"- 1.625 oz loads don't kick badly at all and will outperform any and all factory loaded 3" or 3.5" shells.

mikejd

Turkey chokes are actually doing quit the opposite. The tighter the restriction the more felt recoil.
shoot the same gun with a cylinder bore choke and there will be less recoil. The ports in the turkey chokes are not there to reduce recoil.

Turkey guns in general are just not fun to shoot. They probably hit harder than any other gun I shoot.

If you really want to shoot alot of turkey rounds get a lead sled.

jepcho

Quote from: mikejd on June 05, 2015, 08:57:57 AM
Turkey chokes are actually doing quit the opposite. The tighter the restriction the more felt recoil.
shoot the same gun with a cylinder bore choke and there will be less recoil. The ports in the turkey chokes are not there to reduce recoil.

Turkey guns in general are just not fun to shoot. They probably hit harder than any other gun I shoot.

Almost exactly what I was gonna say. The bright side is that once you're out hunting and have your gun dialed in you're good. I've never felt the recoil when shooting a bird, only at the range.

VAarrowslinger

This! More constriction = more recoil. Porting can help as can different recoil pads. An ati recoil absorbing stock will help most

mikejd

Quote from: jepcho on June 05, 2015, 10:05:14 AM

Almost exactly what I was gonna say. The bright side is that once you're out hunting and have your gun dialed in you're good. I've never felt the recoil when shooting a bird, only at the range.

Funny right. After shooting at a bird or deer for that matter you never even remember the shot.