turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke experts. Opinion needed

Started by 357MAGNOLE, June 02, 2015, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

The main issues I've seen with longbeards out of my 870 was a shifting in POI between shells and super tight patterns at 20 and less like slug size.

I went back to trusting my hevi shot.. $5 a bird is cheap when I think about everything else I throw at turkey hunting.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: SumToy on June 03, 2015, 06:15:36 PM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on June 03, 2015, 04:21:58 PM
I took the choke out to the garage and cleaned up the grooves and exit point with a file.  Does not have any more burrs inside it.
??? :TrainWreck1: :bike2: ???    :z-twocents:

What was with the slow motion train wreck?

I used a really fine metal file and just removed the burrs. I didn't change the profile of the grooves, just removed the jagged pieces of metal sticking out of the groove. I could understand if you thought I took a file and re-profiled all the grooves and made them deeper/wider.... But I did not.

I am not a certified gun smith but it doesn't take one to know the burrs should be removed.   I figure If I can clean up the burrs there is no sense in sending it back to Sumtoy for a replacement. Those are the only issues I see in the choke, the pattern is good and lays down a nice 10" number.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Longshanks

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on June 03, 2015, 03:07:28 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on June 03, 2015, 11:02:58 AM
Had noticed some of the moving patterns myself. If your setting up a hunting gun that can be trouble   A load that may still put up a good 10 inch even to 15 or 20" May be more of what you may want.  If you can't hit consistently off the bench what will it do if the field under hunting conditions  ?  An awesome 10 is of no use if it won't go where you point it :anim_25:

Agreed 100%

Going to try a couple load/choke combos and see where it gets me.

I'm shooting some good hunting patterns with .682 and .687. The patterns are still much better than I can turn with standard lead loads but have some room for error. The only problem with more open chokes and LB's is the patterns tend to get some gaps in the pattern. Nothing major but 2" or so gaps.

owlhoot

Quote from: Longshanks on June 03, 2015, 06:36:49 PM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on June 03, 2015, 03:07:28 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on June 03, 2015, 11:02:58 AM
Had noticed some of the moving patterns myself. If your setting up a hunting gun that can be trouble   A load that may still put up a good 10 inch even to 15 or 20" May be more of what you may want.  If you can't hit consistently off the bench what will it do if the field under hunting conditions  ?  An awesome 10 is of no use if it won't go where you point it :anim_25:

Agreed 100%

Going to try a couple load/choke combos and see where it gets me.

I'm shooting some good hunting patterns with .682 and .687. The patterns are still much better than I can turn with standard lead loads but have some room for error. The only problem with more open chokes and LB's is the patterns tend to get some gaps in the pattern. Nothing major but 2" or so gaps.
ok then , but does the 10" core still shift where it hits?

Longshanks

I would assume its moving around just not as noticeable with a larger pattern.

owlhoot

Quote from: Longshanks on June 03, 2015, 06:57:30 PM
I would assume its moving around just not as noticeable with a larger pattern.
Did you shoot open chokes up close, how did that do?

SumToy

The more open patterns move as much as the crazy 10 inch big numbers do.  You just don't see it as much.  Now the burr you talking about will not hurt the choke if anything it will help it.  It would just help the lines do what they do.  Now the thing with the Winchester Long Beards we have seen as we pick up the wad as folks shoot them.  The wad will open fine on some and have two of the pedals stuck together on some. (Would be a problem that makes them walk around).  Now Optics on a shotgun is a big problem. Most red dots are too big and you can't tell that you are in same spot every time. Some scopes are ok but if small cross hairs.  You got to keep in mind that all that stuff was built for shotguns (big patterns).   It is a shotgun and they move around when you choke them down.  We have been dealing with it for years in the target world.  More technology in just the barrel of this gun then any hunting gun. It is one of the top guns this year and you see it moves around plus it has a rifle scope.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: SumToy on June 03, 2015, 09:53:24 PM
The more open patterns move as much as the crazy 10 inch big numbers do.  You just don't see it as much.  Now the burr you talking about will not hurt the choke if anything it will help it.  It would just help the lines do what they do.  Now the thing with the Winchester Long Beards we have seen as we pick up the wad as folks shoot them.  The wad will open fine on some and have two of the pedals stuck together on some. (Would be a problem that makes them walk around).  Now Optics on a shotgun is a big problem. Most red dots are too big and you can't tell that you are in same spot every time. Some scopes are ok but if small cross hairs.  You got to keep in mind that all that stuff was built for shotguns (big patterns).   It is a shotgun and they move around when you choke them down.  We have been dealing with it for years in the target world.  More technology in just the barrel of this gun then any hunting gun. It is one of the top guns this year and you see it moves around plus it has a rifle scope.

Well than I stand corrected and feel humble :)

So what is your recommendation out of all this? No matter what I do, how much I put into a gun it will never be able to accurately lay down my spread like I want it to?

I guess I can accept that, I come from precision pistol/rifle world where everything is about match grade precision to get that matching repetition from shot to shot.  Laws dont seem to transfer over do they  :z-dizzy:

Forgive me as it is all a little confusing.... BUT I am learning, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

So, should Winchester upgrade their wads or is the problem in the resin that holds the shot together, I am assuming it is totally possible that the resin is adhering to both the wad and the shot.

Is there a round you would recommend for this particular choke that I might see more consistent results from? I love the density of the pattern as stated before, just looking to have some kind of consistency so I know my shot placement.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

SumToy

The Winchester shells have had this problem but never had a pattern with numbers like the LB that you can see it move.  The wad is hard and for some reason some of them are not cut as deep between the pedals.  Now the HV13 will do better but the patterns can be less and they are $$$$$.

You can open the choke up some and may settle it down some but open pattern up at same time.  It something that will drive you crazy and make your hair fall out. lol
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: SumToy on June 04, 2015, 07:34:52 AM
The Winchester shells have had this problem but never had a pattern with numbers like the LB that you can see it move.  The wad is hard and for some reason some of them are not cut as deep between the pedals.  Now the HV13 will do better but the patterns can be less and they are $$$$$.

You can open the choke up some and may settle it down some but open pattern up at same time.  It something that will drive you crazy and make your hair fall out. lol

Does Sumtoy have a choke in the .660 range I could give a go? Send this one back and see how that one does? I can sacrifice a slightly more open pattern if I can get more consistent results on target. The pattern was never a problem and the look and feel of the choke are top notch.