turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke experts. Opinion needed

Started by 357MAGNOLE, June 02, 2015, 08:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Could a small machining defect in a choke cause POA/POI issues?

I was deep cleaning the barrel/choke to remove all oils/grease and noticed a little chunk missing from the tip of the choke as well as some burrs on the inside of the choke in the grooves.

From yalls experience, can these cause issues or should it be no biggie? If it can, I am thinking the choke might have played into my POA/POI issues with the long beard XR's.

(which got better with a deep cleaning but I still cant dial it in 100%)

The little chunk missing from the end of the groove is at the bottom of the choke above my thumb.

Its hard to see the grooves in this well, but if I stick my pinky finger in there I can feel the sharp burrs. I know something like this in rifling is huge, but I dont know about how much it could affect a shotgun's pattern. That groove is also the same one with the chunk issue.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

jepcho

Just my opinion here, and I have been wrong before, but I dont think it is very likely that that is what was causing your problem.  The only reason I say that is that if I recall your issue was poi changing from one shot to the next.  While I could see this having some affect, and I would definitely be wanting to exchange it for a new one, I dont see how it would throw the shot high one shot then low, or to the right another.  Maybe others on here might have more input on this and might have a reason that I am wrong..

SumToy

Quote from: jepcho on June 02, 2015, 09:02:14 PM
Just my opinion here, and I have been wrong before, but I dont think it is very likely that that is what was causing your problem.  The only reason I say that is that if I recall your issue was poi changing from one shot to the next.  While I could see this having some affect, and I would definitely be wanting to exchange it for a new one, I dont see how it would throw the shot high one shot then low, or to the right another.  Maybe others on here might have more input on this and might have a reason that I am wrong..

:z-winnersmiley:

You will not get them shells to shoot the same.  It is all in how they bust up as they come out.  They have big numbers but from what I have been told and read that is of the two complaints.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

357MAGNOLE

Then it seems I may need to find another shell, after all isn't that part of the point of sighting/patterning. Being able to put the densest part of the spread where you aim? Be it from 25-40 yards.

What was the second of the two complaints on those shells?

Sumtoy what y'all's recommendation?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Longshanks

Quote from: SumToy on June 02, 2015, 09:08:32 PM
Quote from: jepcho on June 02, 2015, 09:02:14 PM

:z-winnersmiley:

You will not get them shells to shoot the same.  It is all in how they bust up as they come out.  They have big numbers but from what I have been told and read that is of the two complaints.

Yup, I've seen different POI out of 870's with the LB shells. Shooting a red dot off a solid rest to limit movement. Shoots left and right of the target at 25yds. Noticed it out of two guns.

357MAGNOLE

Not what I am wanting to hear.

I am more than likely swapping the choke out for another.  Sumtoy is awesome with their stuff just like everyone says and willing to swap it for me.  I always love a company that is willing to work with the customer to make sure they get what they paid for.

I also ordered another choke and will give it a go to see how it does.  I don't expect it to out perform the Sumtoy, just want to see how it affects POA/POI if any affect at all.  I will also then have a backup choke, I ordered the IC .665. From what I read the Stoegers typically like a tighter choke and I cant argue against that. I was getting 200+ from the Sumtoy in the 10" with the .650 constriction.  Decently even pattern between the 10-20" as well.  Hard to beat/replace that but what can I say, I like to try new things.

owlhoot

Had noticed some of the moving patterns myself. If your setting up a hunting gun that can be trouble   A load that may still put up a good 10 inch even to 15 or 20" May be more of what you may want.  If you can't hit consistently off the bench what will it do if the field under hunting conditions  ?  An awesome 10 is of no use if it won't go where you point it :anim_25:

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: owlhoot on June 03, 2015, 11:02:58 AM
Had noticed some of the moving patterns myself. If your setting up a hunting gun that can be trouble   A load that may still put up a good 10 inch even to 15 or 20" May be more of what you may want.  If you can't hit consistently off the bench what will it do if the field under hunting conditions  ?  An awesome 10 is of no use if it won't go where you point it :anim_25:

Agreed 100%

Going to try a couple load/choke combos and see where it gets me.

357MAGNOLE

I took the choke out to the garage and cleaned up the grooves and exit point with a file.  Does not have any more burrs inside it.

Also ordered the Indian Creek .665 to try out with the ammo. 

If I dont get any consistency out of the new choke, or the cleaned up choke then I will start looking for a replacement shell.

I really dont want to swap shells, the Longbeards seem like hands down the best shell that can be had in that or any comparable price range.  Plus I still have a few boxes left :)

owlhoot

Is the factory choke more open?
May be worth a try ? Might try with more open chokes.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: owlhoot on June 03, 2015, 04:50:09 PM
Is the factory choke more open?
May be worth a try ? Might try with more open chokes.

Im not sure, let me go grab my caliper and check the factory choke.

357MAGNOLE

I am getting an internal Diameter of .720 with an exit diameter of .660

owlhoot

357MAGNOLE

SumToy

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on June 03, 2015, 04:21:58 PM
I took the choke out to the garage and cleaned up the grooves and exit point with a file.  Does not have any more burrs inside it.
??? :TrainWreck1: :bike2: ???    :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA