OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A little late, but the end is near...2016 in Hawaii

Started by gobble157, June 02, 2015, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobble157

It's been a long while since I've posted something here, but wanted to update everyone on the U.S. Slam.

2015 has been a very significant and meaningful year to me. I was able to complete all US states directly attached to the continental United States. I traveled a lot and had the time of my life. These memories will forever be remembered and cherished to my very last breath. I was blessed from above with great health and lots of luck for the 2015 turkey season. I also gained many new friends along the way that live and breathe the same passion as I for the wild turkey.

To me, it's the journey I'm confronted with when going into these new states I've never put a foot in. I equally get the same amount of pleasure planning these trips as getting after these precious spring time jewels. Some know how difficult it can be getting all your dates in line with the rest of the states you're hunting. Not to mention, dealing with the crazy weather of 2015. It's hit or miss 95% of the time, but I can only say the Good Lord blessed me this go around in 2015

This morning I sat my last day of the 2015 turkey season on a ridge in NY that was absolutely breath taking. In the spring time silence on that ridge I couldn't help but look ahead on how exactly I would handle next spring if I'm blessed with a Hawaiian longbeard. That ridge opened a whole new door of emotions thinking about the end of a quest that began back in 2007. My life for the past 8 years has changed so much. I've endeavored many obstacles that couldn't have been possible without God and the love I share for the wild turkey.

In 2009, I went through a divorce that didn't allow me to travel to any states due to the cumbersome circumstances. Then in 2010, I lost my father to pancreatic cancer. 2011, was the most difficult year of my life in the springtime woods since it was my dad I spoke to daily during my travels to the many new states across the US. My first bird of the year was in MS and I'll never forget that moment. I remember going for my phone to call my dad in the heat of all the excitement and almost immediately I lost it in emotions. As the season went on I learned to find other ways to express myself in all of the excitement, but nothing will ever replace that connection I had with him.

Since then I've traveled a lot and covered many states. I planned many trips years in advance and networked with numerous US Slam hunters. The best part of it all is we all have a common bond and to me the brotherhood is where many of these great memories are created. I do not know what I will do when it's all said and done, but I know God will show me how to manage my time outside this quest I so dearly loved each and every spring.

Here's a little recap from 2015, which took me to CO, WY, NE, AZ, WA, MT, NJ, CT, and ME. Next year I'll start and finish my season in Hawaii around the first of March. God willing, I'll be on the big island for Hawaii's season opener with hopes of finalizing this quest. Not to mention, I'll get to share the woods with some great friends that understand the passion of this journey. Now the wait begins and the loooooooooooooong off season ahead.

Hope everyone had a blessed season and hope you all have a great summer.

David

Florida number 1

Florida number 2

Colorado

Wyoming

Nebraska

Arizona

Washington 1

Washington 2

Montana

New Jersey

Maine

Connecticut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!

dutch@fx4

wow you did do some traveling ,and it is good that you can think of your dad at times like this ,,I still call my dad after every hunt if I did not you can bet he would be calling me ,,lol ,good luck next spring Dutch

gobble157

The 48 state map finally filled in red. Off to the mid pacific for number 49. God willing, it all will come together in HI

357MAGNOLE

I did not know they had Turkey in Hawaii.  I guess Hawaii is back on the map for me when I come up for orders in January. That was a determining factor for me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

beagler

Never Misses

jepcho

That is so cool man! I would love to go after the US slam like that but don't see it ever happening. Good for you man!

slamman

Great job David you make it look easy. ;D ;D  After Hawaii what next, maybe a book?  Pomaika`i in Hawaii next year.

God Bless.

Bill

slayerrd

Congrats! I have a long way to go but I hope to accomplish the same thing one day.

sixbird

Good for you man! That's quite an accomplishment!
On the Dad thing...I still have my Dads' number in my phone in spite of the fact that he passed 4 years ago. Can't tell you how many times I've reached for that phone when something unusual/exciting happened. That's usually the first thing I think of when I kill a turkey or deer...Dad will be excited about this!

JK Spurs

Wow, very impressive! Good luck on the island next year.
I like my turkey well peppered

woodshopteacher

I would love to do this someday. I'm doing an ocellated hunt this spring for my world slam. Then maybe try to get the Rio in mexico for the Mexican slam. But after that a state slam would be awesome. Is most of your hunts guided, public land, or private with friends. I couldn't imagine being able to do it that fast. Hawaii would be awesome. Is it a guided hunt?

donjuan

I wish you the best, but am curious...how did turkeys get to Hawaii and what species are there?
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

gobble157

Quote from: sixbird on June 02, 2015, 09:11:29 PM
Good for you man! That's quite an accomplishment!
On the Dad thing...I still have my Dads' number in my phone in spite of the fact that he passed 4 years ago. Can't tell you how many times I've reached for that phone when something unusual/exciting happened. That's usually the first thing I think of when I kill a turkey or deer...Dad will be excited about this!

It's surely tough after the first few spring time harvests. I've sat and prayed next to a many trees after his passing. The Good Lord has given me the strength and path to understanding when dealing with these tough moments. All I can say is next spring in Hawaii I'm going to be a mess if the Lord blesses me with a HI longbeard.

gobble157

Quote from: donjuan on June 02, 2015, 11:19:53 PM
I wish you the best, but am curious...how did turkeys get to Hawaii and what species are there?

The state brought them in around 1961. Had close to 400 Rios taken from TX released over the span of 3 years. There's nearly 20,000 turkeys on the island now.

gobble157

Quote from: woodshopteacher on June 02, 2015, 10:06:31 PM
I would love to do this someday. I'm doing an ocellated hunt this spring for my world slam. Then maybe try to get the Rio in mexico for the Mexican slam. But after that a state slam would be awesome. Is most of your hunts guided, public land, or private with friends. I couldn't imagine being able to do it that fast. Hawaii would be awesome. Is it a guided hunt?

98% of all my hunts are on public land. There are a few hunts where I hunted some private land, but these areas are predominately in the north east. If it isn't posted then you can hunt it but I always spoke to the landowner before hunting the unposted land. In Hawaii I'll be hunting one of the game management units. You could go the guided route and hunt the Parker ranch but I know there are plenty of turkeys on the island to pay someone to show me the way. Nothing against it, just love planning these trips out and getting after them from scratch.

Good luck on your ocellated hunt and your Goulds hunt! Will be a trip of a lifetime my friend.

Have a blessed week!