turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Virginia guys, a question

Started by waterfowler22, March 27, 2011, 01:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterfowler22

I'm gonna be coming down to hunt for 3 days on public land. As of right now we were looking at hunting the MT Rogers national forest because its close to where I will be staying. Is this a decent area or would I be completely wasting my time? Any help is much appreciated.

struttin_1

Never hunted that far down the state, but I can say it is some seriously steep country. Mount Rogers is the highest point in the state.

turkey_slayer

I can see mount rogers from my back door.  It is the highest peak in Va and I would say there is prob about 6 inches of snow or more there.  The past 2 winters have been brutal up there so I really wouldnt expect much to be honest.  The snow pushes the deer and turkey down to the farmlands.  It gets hunted very very little. If you do go there be ready to see some bear.  Where abouts are you staying and when are you coming down as I might be able to put you on some birds.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: struttin_1 on March 28, 2011, 08:46:37 AM
Never hunted that far down the state, but I can say it is some seriously steep country. Mount Rogers is the highest point in the state.

True  ;D  Farm fields are about the only flat spots in this part of the state.  Once you hit the mountains you better be part billy goat  :lol:

trkehunr93

Billy goat country for sure, my wifes family is from White Top, VA and I get altitude sickness everytime we go down there  ;).  I would say your chances are good in getting into some birds there, definitely check out some aerial photos of the area and some topo maps.  I would think the ridges above where the private/national forest meet would be good spots.  A bench on a ridge is great place for a gobbler to want to strut.

waterfowler22