turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting can have its sacrifices

Started by TauntoHawk, June 01, 2015, 08:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Took a pretty good fall second week of the season carrying a bird out through some steep rough rocky terrain. I broke a pot call and banged my gun hard enough I needed to sight the fast fire back in, I tried to break my fall with my right arm and the wrist took the brunt of it and just hasn't felt right since.

Well I got a fracture and some sprained ligaments, but its a good thing I waited to get it checked because this brace is a real pain and wouldn't let run calls or shoot very well. Had my best turkeys season and happy I got to finish it up.

Usually after turkey I jump back into weight lifting pretty serious and train up for a couple of Spartan races before deer season rolls around. We'll see when this thing is ready to handle weights again  :character0029:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Onpoint

Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 01, 2015, 08:24:13 AM
Took a pretty good fall second week of the season carrying a bird out through some steep rough rocky terrain. I broke a pot call and banged my gun hard enough I needed to sight the fast fire back in, I tried to break my fall with my right arm and the wrist took the brunt of it and just hasn't felt right since.

Well I got a fracture and some sprained ligaments, but its a good thing I waited to get it checked because this brace is a real pain and wouldn't let run calls or shoot very well. Had my best turkeys season and happy I got to finish it up.

Usually after turkey I jump back into weight lifting pretty serious and train up for a couple of Spartan races before deer season rolls around. We'll see when this thing is ready to handle weights again  :character0029:
it sure can take a toll on ya. Physically and financially.

I sure hope ya recover soon.

I had a pretty rough fall myself this season in WV. was standing still on the side of a steep hill, within seconds I'm face down and 30 feet back down the hill. I'm still missing a chunk the size of a dime out of my knee

Onpoint

Quote from: Onpoint on June 01, 2015, 08:37:37 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on June 01, 2015, 08:24:13 AM

it sure can take a toll on ya. Physically and financially.

I sure hope ya recover soon.

I had a pretty rough fall myself this season in WV. was standing still on the side of a steep hill, within seconds I'm face down and 30 feet back down the hill. I'm still missing a chunk the size of a dime out of my knee
On a positive note, I didn't get fired this turkey season. (Took the boss and got him a bird). Took 8 of the next 10 days off after that. Lol.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

West Augusta

Welcome to hunting in West Virginia.  I forgot to tell you about that part.  Hunting these hills can be treacherous.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

slwayne

Quote from: West Augusta on June 01, 2015, 08:47:34 AM

Welcome to hunting in West Virginia.  I forgot to tell you about that part.  Hunting these hills can be treacherous.

Just returned from the Webster County Woodchopping Festival.  Didn't do any hunting (this was family time, not hunting time) but I thought to myself on more than one occasion that I better be in damn good shape when I do decide to hunt WV.  Beautiful country in that stretch from Buckannon to Webster Springs. 

guesswho

Yep, can be tuff on the body.  I've had two surgeries directly related to turkey hunting.  A knee and an elbow.  Good luck!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TRG3

Watch those weight rooms. I dropped some weights on my right ankle in early March and ended up with five pins and a plate plus three days in the hospital. I still managed to hobble across a picked soy bean field on April 6th with my wife "volunteering" to carry my decoys and shotgun. An hour later, she carried out the gobbler while I managed the decoys and gun with my walker. In turkey hunting, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Gooserbat

Sound like you boys let em get rough on you all.  I guess the worst I  ever got from a bird was a spur to the hand or a gaulded rump.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Onpoint

Quote from: West Augusta on June 01, 2015, 08:47:34 AM

Lol yea there were a couple places that were pretty steep. It was raining that morning I fell.. i still don't know how I fell standing still listening

TauntoHawk

Yeah im usually pretty nimble in the woods and can't say I've ever had a hard fall before, But I went down on this one :z-dizzy: glad noone was around to see me.

Not thrilled about being sidelined a few weeks, I don't do well if I can't be up doing physical things
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jepcho

The night before I left for a week long trip to Kansas and Nebraska this spring I thought I would show my kids how to ride their new scooter. When that front wheel hit that crack in the road, I went flying over the handle bars and landed on both hands. Hurt bad but everything turned out fine. Scared me though cuz any harder and I might have been getting casts on instead of leaving to go hunt that next day.

TrackeySauresRex

Have a speedy recovery.
  Last season,opening day. Early AM real dark still. I stepped on a perfectly round stick about a foot long and 1-1/2" in diameter. A Real Roler! I went down like someone yanked the carpet from under me. If I hit my head it would have bin lites out!  :z-dizzy:  Luckily it turned out to be funny.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Vabirddog

Heal fast!  Couple years ago hunting the big mts I jumped up to grab a gobbler before he rolled down the mountain. Thing is I had forgotten my pronghorns and just had rubber grange boots on. 1 rock or hole and got this a mile from the truck. Luckily I carry ibuprofen with me, took 4 immediatly or i don't know if I could have walked out.

davisd9

2012, luckily it was not my trigger finger:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer