OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2015 Season has wrapped up!

Started by FireDoc, May 30, 2015, 02:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireDoc

Just about wrapped my season up, and finally had a chance to sit down and do some typing.
Started our season off as usual in Ohio for the Youth Hunt with a good friend of mine. The Bug didn't kill a bird, but we had a blast as always and even had to let one Big Boss walk at 25 yards due to elevation issues.

Who needs turkeys when there are trees to climb?

Chasing birds is fun, but making memories with family and friends is better.

Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

FireDoc

Got back home to Michigan, and had some success with other folks; Killed a nice one with a Farmer and helped a buddy and his wife kill their birds. First on his family property for him, and her first ever.

Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

FireDoc

This followed up with my friend from Ohio coming up, and after killing his Ohio bird in the morning he made the 5 hour drive up to hunt and we managed to complete the "Double/Double"; Two Birds in 2 States in one day. Pulled it off in the last hour.

Double beard? You decide.  :TooFunny:

Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

FireDoc

About a week later headed down to Ohio myself, and he put me on a nice bird that had been giving him fits. The scenery down there is amazing.

Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

FireDoc

After killing my bird early in the AM, and with some trash talking going on, I cannonballed it home to try and complete my own "Double/Double". Worked out okay.

Then finally got to my favorite part of every season: Chasing Michigan birds with the girl. She didn't disappoint at all after we had a great morning hunt.  3 for 3 the last three years. The girl is becoming a stone cold turkey killer, and the best part is she did her own calling this year.

Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

FireDoc

Wrapped up the season being fortunate enough to take a great guy out who has not been able to turkey hunt in years. After a great hour and a half of dueling, this Longbeard got sick. Amazing how much as later season bird can teach you if you pay attention.

I consider myself lucky and fortunate to have time in the field every Spring, and this season was no different. I think the best part of it is all season long I was schooled by a wary Old Boss Tom who I figure to be 4 years old. It is a pleasant sickness to be obsessed with these birds, and I am already planning on seeing that Old Tom come this Fall.

Thanks for looking and enjoy your Summers!
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

SteelerFan

Congrats! Nice season, indeed!!!!

jamo

owlhoot

strutnva

Gooserbat

Looks like a good time.  Just 9.5 months till Florida 2016.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cramerhunts

Congratulations on a great season! Very good photos and recap, thanks for sharing.

jepcho

Great photos, live the recap! Congrats

GobbleNut

Nice pictures and story.  One question,...are there Merriams turkeys in Michigan?  That one bird sure isn't an Eastern....

beagler

Never Misses