OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longest and shortest hunts youve had

Started by bowmike, May 29, 2015, 09:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

Just wondering what are the longest and shortest hunts you've had with gobblers from the time you make your first call at the set up to trigger time.

This year I had my shortest and longest hunts.

My first bird I heard a gobble about 400 yards away. Closed the distance and did 3 yelps and struck a single gobble at about 80 yards. I set up and check the phone. 6:45. I do a few excited cuts and 4 birds answer. 6:48 I was standing on the birds head. So 3 minutes from first call to trigger time.

My second bird I made my first call some where around 5:00. Played with calling in his hen and such, layed low with not too much calling. I had to double back and switch locations on him. Trigger time was right around 6:40. I just looked at my phone and the first picture was 6:42. So that hunt was an hour and 40 minutes.

It felt like 3 hours, with the adrenaline going. I am a fan of these kinds of hunts where you have to use your head, and really play the chess game. THe short ones are fun and I feel the adrenaline is a bit more intense, but not as everlasting as those marathon hunts.

Just wondering what everyone elses shortest and longest are. Just kind of want to put the nail in the coffin and drive home that your season can change in a second.

eddie234

A few years ago I worked a bird for an hour before I was able to shoot him. One time I made it my spot and called once, had a nice Tom pitch down and when he hit the ground I shot him. Total time 30 sec. I was in and out of the woods within a half hour.

BABS9

Last year i set up on a bird probably 100-150 yards or so from his roost and he flew down and walked right in to me. I didn't even have to call. He was dead before 6. From flydown to the shot was probably under 5 minutes.
And this year i was working a bird and was waiting him out for 4 hours. I couldn't feel my entire body lol very painful. He came into range 3 different times but couldnt get a shot. He was just walking back and forth strutting, spitten and drumming. I ended up missing him at about 10:00. I was on him from the roost but ended up making a move on him once and was at my final set at around 545-6. I don't like to make excuses I shoulda made the shot but 4 hours straight of not being able to move... Not fun lol

dejake

shortest was about 5 minutes.  Longest was 5 hours.

njdevilsb

I have shot a bird within 2 minutes of him hitting the ground.  My longest was probably close to 6 hours.  We were hunting public land that bordered a private farm.  We setup there at first light and watched the birds from a distance in the private field for hours.  They were with hens and didn't want to leave them for anything.  Finally, at about 11:30, the one tom who had been out there all morning decided to come check us out with his hen in tow.  He crossed the seasonal use road into the private land and right to my gun barrel.  It was about an 11 yard shot.

TRG3

With the morning temperature around 20+ degrees, I decided to drink another cup of coffee before heading to the turkey woods. I got to my hunting spot around 8 a.m. only to see another truck parked near where I'd planned to go. So...I picked another spot a ways down the road, parked, and walked to a large oak I'd hunted from before. Upon arrival, I set out my two decoys and had just leaned against the tree, still lacking my camo face mask, gloves, and had made no calls when a hen came running by at 30 yards followed by a gobbler. While the tom was still on a dead run, I downed him with a load of #5s. Come to find out, the guy in the other truck had bumped them as he slipped through the woods. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

My longest hunt would be the 10 months I have to wait for the gobbler I couldn't coax in from the previous season.

Gooserbat

I've killed them 5 minutes after I sat down and I've worked the same bird for 3 hours.  I once sat down and made a call no with response, only to wait 5 minutes and have 3 gobblers walk over the hill 30 yards away.  I was kinda surprised, but only two left the scene by their own.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nativeks

Depends on shortest definition
Called one in for a buddy back in high school that was less than 5 minutes from the time they flew down till be shot one.

This year on an afternoon hunt it was 12 minutes from my first call till 3 longbeards showed up.

Back in 05 I sat for 7 hours because I knew the birds would be back there that night and the only way to get on them due to terrain and property lines was to get in well ahead of them and wait.

davisd9

10 minutes
4 hours if you are talking about hunting and working one bird. I usually hunt all day long or until I tag out for the day as we can kill 2 a day.

Have had quite a few 15-30 minute hunts.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Rapscallion Vermilion

Hard to time in from my first call, since I don't know if they have heard me or were paying attention.  Shortest to bagging a bird from the first sure answering gobble,  around 5 minutes, on a run and gun.   Shortest time to getting busted, about 20 seconds.  Rookie mistake, calling when I wasn't in a good setup.   Longest from first answering gobble to pulling the trigger, 2 1/2 hours.

Tail Feathers

I passed on a bird one year because I didn't want to end my season 1 minute into it.  Bird flew down and ran right to me one minute into legal shooting hours.
I passed him and up went to another area.  I was walking along the side of the road and stepped on some dry leaves that crunched under foot.  A bird gobbled from the creek bottom 100 yards off.  I shot him about 2 minutes later.  It was still only 7:30am. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

falltoms

Had a 15 minute hunt this year. And my longest took 4 hours

jblackburn

The longest part of my LA hunt this year was waiting for the sun to come up.  He hit the ground and walked to 25 yards in less than 5 minutes.  I have had several hunts that were less than 15 minutes from the first time I saw or heard him.

I also have worked them for multiple hours to seal the deal.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Dr Juice

Quote from: eddie234 on May 29, 2015, 09:17:43 AM
A few years ago I worked a bird for an hour before I was able to shoot him. One time I made it my spot and called once, had a nice Tom pitch down and when he hit the ground I shot him. Total time 30 sec. I was in and out of the woods within a half hour.
That's awesome. Cocktail time! :happy0064:

Dr Juice

For me the shortst was 5-mins and the longest about 2.5 hours. I wouldn't have them any other way.  :OGani: