OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbler down.....Now what?

Started by HFultzjr, May 29, 2015, 08:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

Here is my question........................

I got lucky last Sat. morning and bagged a gobbler with a 6" beard and 1-1/2" 2nd beard.

Shot him at 12 yards and almost missed him (pattern too tight). Caught him with about 1/2 dozen or so #6 pellets in head and neck. Direct hit should have "taken his head off". Head was "bobbing and weaving" when shot. I'd much prefer a 25-30 yard shot.

Anyways, gobbler went straight down....didn't move. When I approached him he started what I call " The death flop". He was obviously "dead", wasn't going anywhere, (I was ready in case he did). Normally the only other 2 birds I shot expired after about 15-30 seconds. However, this one continued to flap for about what seemed like 3-4 minutes. Didn't run, head down, just flapping. This really bothered me as I didn't want to shoot him again or "slit" his throat or "pound his head with a log", etc. I know this was probably just reflexes, but I didn't enjoy it. I prefer my animals (birds) to expire quickly. In many videos, I have seen people carrying flopping birds, etc., but that's just not my thing to do.

So, what I'm asking is, what would you have done and why? What is the ethical thing to do in this situation? I'm sure it won't keep me from pulling the trigger on another, but just wanted some options/opinions. If nothing else, to make me feel better.

Thanks.

hookedspur

You have to stomp a few heads every now and then ,thats just the way of it .
congrats on your double beard...
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowmike

Quote from: hookedspur on May 29, 2015, 09:06:56 AM
You have to stomp a few heads every now and then ,thats just the way of it .
congrats on your double beard...

Yep, the old foot on the neck or head stomp normally takes those reflexes out.

taylorjones20

I do the same thing I said in the last thread with this topic...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

CT Spur Collector

Yep, we talked about this before......get a boot on that head!

GobbleNut

How come his longest beard grew a half inch and his short beard lost a half inch?

:newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot:

(My answer is still the same as last time you asked, too.....)   :toothy12:

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 29, 2015, 12:00:56 PM
How come his longest beard grew a half inch and his short beard lost a half inch?

Cause he wasn't dead yet. I think I see the problem.  :toothy12:

hobbes

Didn't see the first discussion, but if you don't like flopping turkeys.......you better pick another past time.  99% of turkeys will flop, some longer than others.  If his head isn't up.....he's dead, I don't care if he does flop for 3 minutes.  There is no suffering going on here.  Have you ever heard the saying "running like a chicken with its head cut off"? 

davisd9

If a flopping bird is not for you then this may not be your sport.  It is part of the game.  I have shot them where they fell with no movement and have had them flop all over the place.  If the head is down then they are "expired" and it is just nervous and such.  Just like when you cut of a chickens head.  I have had more flopping out of birds shot up close than those at 30-40 yards with HTL, no idea why.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: hobbes on May 29, 2015, 01:22:28 PM
Didn't see the first discussion, but if you don't like flopping turkeys.......you better pick another past time.  99% of turkeys will flop, some longer than others.  If his head isn't up.....he's dead, I don't care if he does flop for 3 minutes.  There is no suffering going on here.  Have you ever heard the saying "running like a chicken with its head cut off"?

Should always read all posts before I post.   :agreed:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hobbes

Quote from: davisd9 on May 29, 2015, 03:48:13 PM
Quote from: hobbes on May 29, 2015, 01:22:28 PM

Should always read all posts before I post.   :agreed:

Great minds think alike!

jepcho

I was thinking the same thing.   ???  Maybe the OP forgot he had posted this before.. My answer is still the same as before.

HFultzjr

Huh!

Sorry, but I didn't ask this question before, nor give any info about my bird before. This is the 1st I've posted since I got it.

If it's some kind of joke, please let me in on it. Cause I'm missing it.

Thanks.

HFultzjr

Ok,

I think i get it. Flopping birds, head down are dead. Part of the hunt. I'm ok with that, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Always trying to learn the "right" way of doing things. It won't keep me up at night or keep me from pulling the trigger! Just asking. By the way, sorry if this was asked in another thread, as I don't remember posting it. Either that or I'm suffering from a severe lack of sleep.
5:30 am, been up since 5:00am. Must still be running on "Turkey Daylight Savings Time".

LOL!

Thanks for the input.

Rapscallion Vermilion