North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your season in a nut shell

Started by Will, May 28, 2015, 12:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now that most of the seasons are either over or coming to a close, how would you rate the turkeys for your season?

Easy to work to the gun.
10 (12.8%)
Normal with a little work needed.
37 (47.4%)
Flat out stubborn!
31 (39.7%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: June 12, 2015, 12:10:42 AM

mgm1955

Worked hard, lots of gobbling. 5 birds down. Great season! Just love being in the turkey woods.

hunter22

I was blessed to hunt 5 states this spring and harvested 8 gobblers. I killed two in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Colorado. I got a big goose egg hunting the public land birds in Mississippi. Already planning for next spring.

KyLongbeardhunter

I am new to this sight, so I probably will not do everything right, however we share the love of the sport, so please excuse any mistakes I might, and probably will make, thank you. Here in eastern Ky. things were about the same as usual, some gobble some don't, some come in when they gobble some don't .I don't consider myself a good turkey hunter, but I do enjoy trying. If you have patience and determination which I do, even a blind hog will find an acorn occasionally, which I did first two days of season, both birds probably 3 year old, good birds. Thank you for your patience,

TRG3

Broke my ankle on March 5th and, with the help of my wife carrying the decoys and gun, took a gobbler on April 6th via a walker. Two weeks later, hobbled a couple of hundred yards in a walking boot but couldn't convince a tom to close the distance and I, because of the boot, couldn't maneuver to him through the woods. Two weeks later found me still in a walking boot taking a nice gobbler and able to drive up to the gobbler for an easy retrieve.

grayfox

Bad year for me. I usually kill one maybe two if I'm lucky on the public land I hunt. Heard less gobbling than in the past but most of the days I got to hunt (mostly Saturdays) were not the best days to hunt by no means. Had a lot of rain this season. The last 3 days of the season I heard a bird or two in the morning but they were too far to go after & they only gobbled a few times in the tree. The only thing I called up this year was one hen. My hunting buddy called two gobblers in around noon the last day only to swing & miss. Very frustrating year for both of us. Maybe next year will be better.

marshboy

It was a good spring.
I filled all 5 tags total I had in 3 states.
I had a hunt for the ages with my final tag...solid gobbling from 5:30-11:30, when I finally called one to the gun...I'll think about that hunt all winter. 
But best of all, my 10 year old boy killed his first gobbler this spring.
Greg

RutnNStrutn

My worst season in 20 years. ::)
Heard, but didn't even see a gobbler in FLA or SC in nearly a month of hunting every day. Thankfully, I got an invite to NC. Had a scope malfunction that cost me one gobbler, but I finally got a nice gobbler after that. That's the only bird I got all season.

JK Spurs

Had a great season....completed my Grand Slam in Oklahoma harvesting two Rios, then tagged an Eastern in PA the first week of the season. Lots of action...almost filled the second tag in PA but just couldn't quite close the deal. Can't wait for the fall season in a few months.
I like my turkey well peppered

LI Outdoorsman

My season started off great in March in Alabama killing a nice bird on my second day of hunting.
Took a new kid who helps around the shop for his first hunt in April for the Long Island youth day (my first time turkey hunting L.I.as well) had a bird roosted on public land only to have hunters sneak in from opposite property and spook off the bird so no luck there.
Had a good morning in NY Chemung Co. on May 2nd calling in a nice 2 yr old from across a 150 yd open field with bird strutting all the way into the 2 bird decoy setup that my son killed at 35 yds all recorded on his head mounted Go-Pro. Done at 7:20 am...awesome hunt...First turkey hunt on video for us
I've been at it ever since to fill my own tag with a few close calls.. but this last week out in 3 days of hunting hearing only 2 gobbles total....very discouraging. Heard it rained hard up there today so I dont feel bad about losing closing day.I've been chasing turkeys on and off for 3 months. must get back to work..time to let all the scratches and mosquito bites heal up and get back to normal life..I'm done... another season in the books
Sometimes I'm glad its only 4 weeks and finally comes to an end... some of you more afflicted will know what I mean..
I'm already getting the deer stands ready for fall..

falltoms

Filled both tags in PA. And one in MD. Two of which were on public ground, but did not hear as much gobbling as other years. All in all it was tougher than normal

dirtnap

About normal. I killed 5 in SC, 1 in FL, 2 in KS, and 3 in NE.  I got to watch my son kill 5 gobblers in SC and saw 6 others get killed.

hobbes

Good season.  Turkeys acted like............turkeys.

Phire Phite

In a nut shell...lame.  Only worked one bird, never saw him.  Hen took him away.

But a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work.

BowBendr

Had a good year. Tagged out in KY in 3 days, killing 2 big gobblers. Finally killed a good one on public land in NC.
Birds gobbled and worked good, not too many ticks...a little rain. Not bad at all, I give it a solid A-

Sent by this stupid phone

Chilly

Had an awesome season in Kentucky.  I was able to fill all 4 of my tags the first week as well as calling in birds for my kids and my dad throughout the season.  I was in on a double with a great friend.  Was fortunate to watch 8 birds fall this year.  My favorite was dads hunt because it was nonstop gobbling from the first time we made a call to him and dad had had a rough year up to that point.  So to see it all come together for him was priceless.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!