North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your season in a nut shell

Started by Will, May 28, 2015, 12:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now that most of the seasons are either over or coming to a close, how would you rate the turkeys for your season?

Easy to work to the gun.
10 (12.8%)
Normal with a little work needed.
37 (47.4%)
Flat out stubborn!
31 (39.7%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Voting closed: June 12, 2015, 12:10:42 AM

Will

Im interested in seeing how everyone thought their season was this year. Compared to last year my season was polar opposite. Last year they would work real nice to the call with lots of gobbling. This year they were stubborn and required some finesse partly I believe the breeding was a bit behind this year cause of Ole Man Winter was hanging around a little to long.   

Remturkey

Started off a tad slow due to the late spring. 2nd and 3rd week heated up nicely with lots of gobbling. Filled my two tags during 3rd week and then called a few in for family and friend . Overall another great spring in God's creation.

2eagles

I was crazy lucky this year. Filled both of my tags in less than one hour hunting time. I felt almost cheated, but I know next year might be a struggle, so I am happy.

steinea286

Worked more birds than normal here in NY but had a heck of a time compared to past years getting them into range. I tagged out, but had to really work to get it done!

Spitten and drummen

in a nutshell , I took a couple and enjoyed myself. thanked god everyday for being there and being healthy and able to go.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

kjnengr

I have hunted more and also more places this year than before.  However the birds have schooled me more this year than ever.  I hope next year will be a little easier.

Spring Creek Calls

Last year birds came a runnin', this year birds stood a gobblin'.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

neal

Nut shell; killed 11 watched 30+ die. Some tough others not. So pretty much turkey hunting. Good season overall.

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Dtrkyman

Birds did not really come running to the call in general, lot of mature birds in my spots, filled 6 of 8 tags so it was an outstanding year! 

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

deerbasshunter3

A million questions. One great bird. No success on public land.

g8rvet

This was the season of rain and fog for me.  The first week and the last week were great.  The middle 3 weeks were rainy and/or foggy every day I could hunt.  Worked hard for the birds this year, but got in the game during the good weeks and finally killed one on the next to last day I could hunt.  Some years it seems easy, others tough. I did not get any redfishing in during turkey season this year (I often hunt in the am and fish in the pm).  Spent a lot of hot afternoons turkey hunting.  Still had fun.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Triple Gobble

1 Bama bird
1 Texas rio
1 Arkansas bird

Wasn't easy but overall a great year!!!!
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

slwayne

Mixed bag for me.  Killed my public land bird in the first 30 minutes of my first day out on my late-season hunt.  A week later called one in for a friend on private land within 10 minutes of his feet hitting the ground after flydown.  On the other hand I'm still trying to get one for my son on the same public land that I killed my bird on.  We've been out twice and the birds have just flat-out run us in circles.  His 3 week Michigan season ends Sunday so we will probably get one more crack at it.

Dr Juice

In the southern zone of NY, they were HUHA (henned up & happy) as Will Primos puts it. I did score one bird, but that was the third week of the season. He was very quiet and followed four hens and a smaller gobbler in to my setup and met his demise.