OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot Magnum blend help

Started by Rick Howard, May 27, 2015, 01:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Howard

This maybe a little bit of a repeat post.  I apologize for that. 

I have been messing with getting a better pattern out of my Remington 870 Express Magnum 20ga.  I was really turned onto the idea after a friend showed me his pattern (different gun).  I knew then, that I have lots of room for improvement. 

I am not far into the project.  My spare time is still going to turkey hunting and call making but, on and impulse, I picked up some Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend and a Tru-Glo gobble stopper choke.  Results were no better than what I was shooting before. (Remington Nirto Turkey #5 from a lead only Rem Turkey choke).

The Magnum blends are fairly easy to find.  I thought about the Fed HW loads but they are always out of stock everywhere I go. YOU CAN NOT MAIL ORDER AMMO IN NY  I do not want to have to fight the hording and I saw rumors that the HW is going away or shot sizes wont be available or something like that...  I kicked around the idea of loading my own shot shells but for several reasons I am not going that route.  That said, I want to get the Mag Blends to shoot well if I can.       

I would like to hear some recommends on a choke that will put the Hevi Mag Blends where I want them.  I am not trying to create a long range shotgun but I would like to feel confident between 20-50 yards.

Maybe I am asking more than this little gun can handle?

Greg Massey

From what I understand the mag blends don't pattern all that great ...the Federal Hw 7 are not going aways . Its just going to be a while before they are back in stock.. you should for now be able to fine some HW 6 or hevi 7 in stock..try those.. also look at trulock chokes they make a choke just for the hw 7 or hevi 7 ... don't forget these shells have a rebate...and trulock has a 60 day return if you don't like the choke...they are great people to work with and great service.

Rick Howard

So the availability of the Magnum Blends may be because no one likes them lol.  My buddy just dropped off a Primos Tight Wad for me to try.  He picked it up at wally world for $15 bucks.   

Rem Man

I have the same gun with a tightwad choke and it shoots mag blends great to 35 yds! I think I got around 170 with them at 30 yds. I will double check that.

Dtrkyman

the hevi straight 7s shot better than the blends for me!

Terry

The Hevi #7's are really hard to find in NY. I did recently see them at the cabelas in Buffalo. Their limited availability after we couldn't order them online anymore is why I switched to the magblends. I am getting around 170 in a ten inch circle at 40 yards. It's decent, but not the 290's I was getting with the 7's. I am using the Hevi .662 choke and 3-1/2" shells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Terry we are talking 20ga here!

Terry

Rick Howard

Thank you fellas.  Do t sweat it terry, you were still helpful. 

njdevilsb

It's too bad that you have trouble finding the Federal HW loads.  My local Gander Mountain has had them in stock for the last 2 or 3 years.  That's what I shoot out of my 870 20 gauge.  I don't get the great patterns that some people get with them out of my gun, but it's a 40 yard gun all day long.  I currently use a Remington Super Full in mine.

I have never shot Magnum Blends in 20 gauge.  I didn't really like the patterns it threw out of my 12 gauge.