turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gould outfitter recommendations

Started by slayerrd, May 26, 2015, 11:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slayerrd

I've wanted to kill a goulds ever since I was a little kid and I've decided that next year is the year. I've already talked to a couple of outfitters but I thought I'd see if you guys had any recommendations before I make my final decision. Thanks

cramerhunts

Check out Colburn and Scott Outfitters. Darr and Jay run a fantastic operation and really know their stuff. You can watch a ton of their hunts on YouTube and some on Cabela's Spring Thunder. They are great people and fun to be around as well.

slayerrd

Thanks, I have talked to Jay Scott. I agree he does run a great operation but he seems to be a little out of my price range. I've also talked to El Corral and Rio Sonora. Both sound like good operations but I still need to do some more research on them. If any of you have had some bad experiences with a gould outfitter I'd like to hear those as well.

woodshopteacher

I highly recommend el corral. I had a great trip and hunt. Mike and Jorge were awesome and answered all my questions. Jorge knows the dept of ag people at the boarder and made crossing with the birds simple. Very well run outfit. Saw a ton of birds on the ranch. They were also 100% this year with all hunters and every hunter that opted for a second bird was successful too. Can't go wrong with el corral.

stringtown

RS is the real deal. Went w Brad a few yrs back and it was a fantastic hunt.  He knew his properties and birds extremely well. I'm sure the other guys mentioned are great too but not sure how you can beat Brad. He's been doing it a very long time w a very high success rate.

neal

Jay Scott I've looked at all the others and you're getting more than what your paying for with him. I'm going with him next May 4th-8th he is more than others but look at the big picture with what you're getting no big camps you and another guy he's with you at all times takes 4 groups so 8-10 guys total on 60,000 acres videos every hunt and it's quality video work. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

slamman

Quote from: neal on May 29, 2015, 07:24:28 AM
Jay Scott I've looked at all the others and you're getting more than what your paying for with him. I'm going with him next May 4th-8th he is more than others but look at the big picture with what you're getting no big camps you and another guy he's with you at all times takes 4 groups so 8-10 guys total on 60,000 acres videos every hunt and it's quality video work. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen.   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

LI Outdoorsman

I got my Gould's hunting with El Halcon outfitters
We hunted high up in the Sierr@  Madre mountains...absolutely breathtaking and boy can those birds GOBBLE..I can still hear them echoing off the canyon walls!!! These birds arent like the tight lipped cagey bastards we have at home..they love to gobble and the more you call the better they like it.Manuel is an awesome host and his Hacienda and guest houses are amazing and very clean and wait till you see his game room and tequila bar!
All i can say is if there was any turkey hunt I would like to do again this would be it.The scenery,the birds...the adventure to get up there and find them...one trip every diehard turkey hunter should take.
Also saw my first couse deer on this hunt too..They take care of everything to and from the airport.
In fact I just caught an episode of turkey call on the outdoor channel featuring his operation.

crappieangler

Has anyone outside of teacher hunted with El corral? 

I was leaning on going with them, really like what I heard; however, I can't find any other reviews on the outfit anywhere on the internet outside of the one on this topic. All 3 references I was given had great things to say and aligned with the guide, but I thought it was odd I couldn't find anything else on a basic google search. Traveling across the border down there has me being more concerned than normal. Slayerd did you find anything in your searches?

LI Outdoorsman

May I ask why you wouldnt consider El Halcon?
I hunted with them and had an awesome experience.
In camp was also 2 outdoor writers from an upstate new york newspaper
plus a representative from Cabela's who was there to sign them up as part of their outfitting services.
Everyone got a bird. (one of the writers missed one and got on another bird the last day and filled his tag)
They pick you up from the airport and bring you back
They have guns for you to use (bringing guns there can be a nightmare)
They are very active with NWTF
Youll find a glowing review on Dave Halloran's website..They got their hunts on video..
Again...I would highly reccommend them.

slayerrd

El Halcon is a good outfit. I was kind of leaning towards an outfitter that would pick me up in El Paso or at least on the U.S. side.  El Corral, Rio Sonora, and Jay Scott will do that but after doing some research I don't know if that's really a better option.

slayerrd

Crappieangler. I talked with a guy who hunted the first week, both guys who hunted the second week, and woodshopteacher who hunted the 3rd week. Everyone had nothing but good things to say. I have not found much info besides that.

fountain2

Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on June 05, 2015, 01:10:26 PM
May I ask why you wouldnt consider El Halcon?
I hunted with them and had an awesome experience.
In camp was also 2 outdoor writers from an upstate new york newspaper
plus a representative from Cabela's who was there to sign them up as part of their outfitting services.
Everyone got a bird. (one of the writers missed one and got on another bird the last day and filled his tag)
They pick you up from the airport and bring you back
They have guns for you to use (bringing guns there can be a nightmare)
They are very active with NWTF
Youll find a glowing review on Dave Halloran's website..They got their hunts on video..
Again...I would highly reccommend them.

my wife and I are looking to go for goulds next spring and have talked to el halcon a few times now.  all sounds good...but I am very worried about security.  I cant find anything but negative about how safe things are below the border now.  how did you feel from the time you got to texas and back?

also explain where you flew into and what you did from there please.  we are in ga and I don't think there is an option to fly into Chihuahua is there?

LI Outdoorsman

You arrange to fly into chihuahua airport and they pick you up there.
Of course anytime you make the decision to leave the confines of the U.S. you are at risk.
We went a few years ago and there was lots of things in the news of concern but we went anyway.
when they pick you up you do not deviate...airport to camp and then camp to airport..no stopping..
Manuel is well known there and you will have no trouble getting around but its old mexico...Its not like taking your wife to the beach in Cozumel...its NOT touristy...no beach towels, flip flops,etc,,its rugged,dry and very much still wild.
Just people going about life not trying to sell you anything or a hustle for money.
Its a little unsettling getting around but we are seasoned travellers..you have to trust your guide and just let them show you a good time.Manuel is Mexican born but studied in the US ..speaks perfect english and his wife is American.hope you go and have a good time!!
We did..

slayerrd

Would Sonora be more safe than Chihuahua? Some outfitters you fly into Chihuahua and some Hermosillo. Was just wondering if one area was better than the other? I talked to a couple guys that drove to Hermosillo from Arizona and they had no troubles.