OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No Spurs??

Started by PASTRUTTER21, May 24, 2015, 10:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PASTRUTTER21

I called in a bird for my dad yesterday in PA and he gobbled came in strutting on a string and after he shot him at 35 yards I noticed he had a 9 1/2 inch beard and no sign of a spur ever growing. Just how common is this? Let me know your thoughts.

kyturkeyhunter4

I've never seen one before heard guys talking about them. Congrats on geting him.

opster246

I shot one in Kansas like that last year and my son shot a jake this year that had no spurs-not even the nubs.  Of the 25 or so dead toms I have personally witnessed, 2 so far were spurless. Not sure if that would be a representative average.

TauntoHawk

While doing research on double spurred birds I read that no spurred birds are about 2% so that's about 1 out of every 50 gobblers but honestly that seems high to me.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

I've killed a couple longbeards with no sign of a spur and a handful with just one spur.  From what I've seen it seems to be more prominent in certain areas.  Here's one I killed a few years ago.  Have also killed a couple with just one spur in the same area so I'm guessing it's a genetic trait.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

My BIL and I shot two on different farms with no spurs on the same day a few years ago.  I've also shot one with a spur missing on only one side...not broken off or anything, just nothing at all.

mgm1955

Shot one in FL a couple of years ago that came in double and triple gobbling like he owned the place. Nice full fan, 10" beard, no spurs.

jordanz7935

I killed a real nice spur-less gobbler a few years back. 9 inch beard 21 pounds. Not common in my area but ive heard of a few others over the years.

Vaturkeyhntr

killed one on opening day this year that had no sign of any spurs....he was 23 1/4 lbs with a 9 1/4 inch beard

K9Doc

It's definitely not Uncommon.
I have killed 3. It's a Bummer!
Killed prettiest and most Hooked Spur in
kS day before yesterday.
1 & 5/8" Sharp Hook!
Trauma to left foot and leg with only a hard
Raised knot.
BUMMER!!!!GRRRRRR!!!!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Gooserbat

Happens, called one in for Dad this year, not a sign of a spur on either leg.  Last year had a buddy who killed a spurles bird only to kill a double spur tom a couple weeks later.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

born2hunt

One of my birds this year had a good spur on one side and a slick leg on the other. I even peeled the skin off the leg and even the bone was smooth, not even a bump.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

turkey_slayer

Killed 1 slick. Also one with a hook and other side was a nub. Uncle killed one this year with a 10" beard but only nubs

catman529

Only killed jakes with nubs and gobblers with broken spurs, never a spurless. At least not yet

Sent from the talk of tap

RIStrutStopper

I've shot one or two adult toms with little bumps for spurs. This year, I shot one with one 1.25 inch spur and one 7/16 inch bump.