OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well that sucks

Started by nativeks, May 22, 2015, 03:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

Bird numbers were finally starting to rebound in this area of Kansas. We got a bunch of rain last week and the river as well as any low lying area flooded. I figured my land was high enough. Was out there working yesterday and went to check my trail camera...
Long story short it was 18" out of the water and I had to send the wife to get my waders so I could retrieve it. Talking about 4-5" more this weekend. Boys down in Texas and Oklahoma are probably experiencing something similar.

TauntoHawk

I cant imagine what that does to a years Hatch.. sorry to hear
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jepcho

That does suck.  Sorry to hear man.  What part of Kansas is this?

Greybeard11

That's terrible news. Hope it doesn't hurt them too much.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

Tail Feathers

I'm in E. TX and we've had some pretty good flooding.  Two times this week alone.  It's been a very wet spring and that doesn't bode well for the hatch.
This on top of them already closing half the counties in my area to turkey hunting due to declining populations.  I think most of the nests in my hunting area would probably survive the high water, but that much rain is tough on the poults.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mgm1955

Live in SW MO. I'm afraid we might be facing the same problem.

nativeks

SE Kansas

I'd be happy if the rain would abate for a week or two.

stinkpickle

Yep, the flooding is predicted to reach over into Missouri this weekend.  All of the river bottom nests are in trouble.  The good news is that we have a LOT of hens.  In fact, I've called in more hens this year than ever.  Hopefully, a few of them will be able to raise a decent number of poults.  They sure as hell tied up the toms this year.   >:(

nativeks

Raining so hard right now I can't see the carport. I did get some foodplot seed in before it hit. Hope it all doesn't get rained out.

dutch@fx4

I am in Ontario Canada and we have not had a drop of rain in months ,we got potatoes starting to show green and the beans and corn are up about 2 inches but we are so dry it is crazy ,just a dust bowl on are sand ground .looks like we may get some rain this week the good lord willing ..Dutch

nativeks

Took these pictures on my land
You can see my trail camera. I rescued it with my ATV. You cant see the stump for my mineral block due to water.

Looking towards the creek. Had a clover plot and had planted 25 burr oaks down that way.

South field

More of my field. In the trees back there is where I shot both of my gobblers

jepcho

Wow man.  That is a lot of water.  Hopefully it subsides for you soon and maybe those hens can have time to put together another nest.

KansasGobbler

Stinkpickle is all over this one, but I'm wary what the re-nesting percentage will be here throughout Kansas. Will hurt in two years, but I think we have a pretty good age structure of turks to persevere :newmascot:

Gooserbat

Yeah here in Oklahoma we're considering lakehood in lue of statehood.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

That's crazy Sam!!! When I hunted Oklahoma it was like a desert!!