turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cancer but still fighting

Started by ddturkeyhunter, March 27, 2011, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddturkeyhunter

Just wondering how many others on here have had to deal with someone close to you that had Cancer. My wife 51 years old was diagnosed with stage three colon cancer 6 years ago. Numinous surgeries, radiation, and all most constant chemo, has been ruff, were still fighting but we may have reached the top of the hill. All this has made us realize to live your life's to the fullest. We went to Alaska and hiked and a lot of other national parks also she even left me go to Florida the last two springs to get my public land Osceola. But told me this week she wasn't going to leave me go out of state to try for my Rio this year in Oklahoma. I am disappointed not being able to go but She and I drew MN permits this year. And I hope she gets her second turkey this year, she has a hard time sitting so she might have to lie down in the blind till the tom is close enough to shoot. But we will make it work we have to she a fighter, any one else know a fighter?

kangaroocry

Back in the early years of this decade, my Grandfather developed bladder cancer.  He was like a father to me, and the only person I was closer to was my mother.  After we heard the news, he went in to have surgery.  They told him they thought they got it all out, but recommended chemo as a precaution.  He turned it down, and took a trip to visit relatives in both Texas and California.  At the 6 month mark, he went back in for a checkup, and discovered that indeed had come back.  This time there was no getting rid of it.  At one point they gave him 6 months, and another gave him 3 months.  In all, he ended up fighting it for 2 whole years before it finally took him.  The radiation was the worst, as you could physically see it taking a toll on him.  During the span of his Radiation, he went from a very fit 180lbs down to about 130-140lbs.  I truly believe it was the radiation that broke his spirit.  It was very hard on all of us, but especially me.  I would often times go to my grandparents house and just sit with him.  Right before he passed, I took a trip to Montana, and when I got back, I found out that things weren't going very well.  He died 4 days after my return, and a part of me believes that he waited so I could say one last goodbye.  He ended up passing on my best friends birthday, so that day will always remain bittersweet to me.  Kudos to you and your wife for realizing that life is too short to let it pass you by in the blink of an eye.  Cherish every moment you have together, and next year, take her with you to get that Rio, if she has the strength!   :icon_thumright:

ddturkeyhunter

FANMAN

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

OLE RASPY

Stay strong and keep on turkey hunting.Prayers are with u both.

Long story short my step mother had cancer.My dad took her to houston texas and it had done spread over her entire body and the anderson clinic couldnt do nothing bout it.So she came home and later passed away.She lived i think 51 days after finding she had cancer.

redarrow

Prayers going out for you both my brother. :cross2: :cross2: :cross2:

RutnNStrutn

My ex-wife & mother of my kids had thyroid cancer. Me & the kids were there beside her every step of the way. She beat it & is still in remission!! :icon_thumright: :groupwave: :happy0064: :you_rock:
There's been quite a bit of cancer running around my fire dep't. :firefighter: We lost a friend, who was a fellow Lieutenant at my station, to colon cancer.  He was a really good guy, and it was so sad to see him go. We also lost a young firemedic to leukemia several years back. A couple of other Lieutenant's beat cancer and they are still on the job. Now 2 more Lieutenants are battling it. 1 works the shift before me at my station, and I have been doing trades for him while he is off due to chemo. His outlook is very good. The other got diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer and it has spread to her liver. Not a very good outlook for her.
We see it every day at work with the patients we run on, but it hits home hard when its one of us. Some of you may have seen my posts regarding St. Baldricks Foundation. A bunch of guys at fire dep'ts in my county raised money for childhood cancer research, and had a fund raising event where we all shaved our heads in solidarity with the children who lose their hair during the cancer treatments. I personally raised $1,329 & got 8 turkey calls donated to be auctioned off. Our 1st annual event raised $75,000 for cancer research. Here's a link to Saint Baldricks Foundation. I urge all of you to get involved. Have your own fundraising event, or join one in your area, or just donate.

http://www.stbaldricks.org/

God bless all those fighting cancer!! :jesus-cross:

mossy835

My wife and I were just talking about her 13th anniversary of being cancer free. Her treatment lasted 5 years and so far by the grace of god she is cancer free. Our prayers to you.
:jesus-cross:

AndyH

Lost both my Grandfather and mom to cancer. Sorry to hear your family is going through it too.

Preacher

Prayers with all of yall,  your strength is amazing.
Romans 8:37

woodchip

My sister in law recently died from cancer (January).  She was only 35 and had been having severe back pain and some quack workers comp doctor told her it was her sciatic nerve, and accused her of milking him for pain pills.  Well she finally got referred to another Doc and they done an MRI, and spotted a large mass.  Come to find out she was eat up with cancer.  They went in to remove the mass found in her colon during the MRI and it was much larger than they thought.  She died during the surgery and never got the chance to fight, which may have been better.  She was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer right off the bat and had it in her colon, liver, lungs, and spine.  It was really odd, she died on her birthday within an hour of when she was born.  Prayers for you and your wife!!

Crutch

My sister was diagnosed with colon cancer, just a small section of colon, and surgery was advised. That was removed and a round of chemo was prescribed to be safe.  The chemo lasted about 4 months and after that a pet scan reveled stage 4. Every other option failed. Last spring she told me there were 3 toms near her home and on my fathers farm. Bruce and I tried it one day about mid morning and pulled a tom away from a hen long enough for me to score my 4th bird.  My sister passed away in June. She was a very good person and faithful to her maker all her days.  I miss her.

I pray that all my friends here on Old Gobbler never see their parents greve over the loss of one of their children.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

turkey slayer

Quote from: FANMAN on March 27, 2011, 12:41:54 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
same here God bless! :jesus-cross:

fl panhandler

My Mom is a fighter.  She is 82 years old.  She has had 3 different kinds of cancer.  She had breast cancer over 10 years ago, a few years after that they found squamis cells in the corner of one of her eyes.  They found it early during a routine visit with her eye Dr.  Two years ago they found renal caner cells on one of her kidneys.  They removed the kidney.  She's a tough one.  Raised on a farm in N. FL.  She loves to fish, but she doesn't get much of a chance to do it anymore.
Rick

Pickle

I lost a very close friend of mine passed away in November last year due to cancer. We had been best friends since kindergarten.  We were as close as brothers, still are in my heart. We shared many fishing boats, duck blinds, and deer stands together.  My friend died at 28 years old after battling cancer for almost two years. I pray for each and everyone of you that has been affected by this sickness. It's tough. God bless.