OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester SXP reviews?

Started by jepcho, May 20, 2015, 06:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jepcho

Quote from: Hooks' n' Beards' on May 30, 2015, 06:19:24 AM
For me,i prefer guns built in turkey or other parts of Europe over anything built in the USA.I am not a bigot and do not need to pound my chest.Winchester Sxp is a solid gun,like most other guns built in Europe and across the pond.I try and buy anything but built in America guns now...

This makes no sense to me.  I am not against guns from overseas.  Clearly there are some very good guns coming from Italy.  I just dont understand avoiding only guns made in the US.  I personally prefer to spend my money on something here in the states but understand buying a foreign made gun.. Just dont see the avoidance of strictly american made....

mikejd

Quote from: Bowguy on May 29, 2015, 10:06:39 PM
It's made in Turkey. That's enough for me never to buy it. My buddy bought one before the season. Got recalled a week or so later. He still doesn't have it back to my knowledge. 
This penny pinching crap has gotta stop or I'll keep using my old guns n spend extra money on calls.
Browning silver is made in Portugal, what the hell?
Too many money guys running the show.

Im with you. Makes me sick. If nobody bought this crap they would start to filter back.

mspaci

I looked at them, but I am getting the Ithaca 37 turkey slayer. Nothing but great things I have heard so far. All American made and great CS from what I can gather. I don't mind spending a little more for a no hassle product.  Mike

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: jepcho on May 30, 2015, 10:26:20 AM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 29, 2015, 10:49:09 PM
I was down between the SXP and the Stoeger M3000.  Went with the Stoeger for a few reasons, some of which can be read about above ^^^^^

But for the same price (actually slightly less) I got a semi-auto that seems to have a good reputation.

How do you like your stoeger?  I have considered that as an option too.  I dont really need a new turkey gun but wanna have a dedicated turkey gun again.  Should've never sold my old one.
I have not owned it long enough to make a fair review of the shotgun. I also just got my some Sumtoy .650 choke in the mail today. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet but from what I see lots of people seem to really like their Stoegers and they seem to throw great patterns. I plan to shoot mine  this week and see how it patterns inside the ten & 20" rings.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

mikejd

Quote from: Daman on May 30, 2015, 09:41:59 AM
Quote from: longislandloco on May 29, 2015, 10:40:52 PM
Isn't the SXP just a remake of the old 1200/1300, sure looks like it based on schematics down to the four lug rotary bolt. If thats the case it's funny how so many claim it's such a great gun while the 1200/1300 was so maligned. Change the name and make it in Turkey and it's all good, LOL.
And to me the 1300s are some of the most unappreciated guns out there. I like them a loy.

I feel the same. The 1300 is the best pump shotgun I have ever used. And I have a dozen or so pumps to compare it to.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: longislandloco on May 30, 2015, 03:41:24 PM
Quote from: Hooks' n' Beards' on May 30, 2015, 06:19:24 AM
For me,i prefer guns built in turkey or other parts of Europe over anything built in the USA.I am not a bigot and do not need to pound my chest.Winchester Sxp is a solid gun,like most other guns built in Europe and across the pond.I try and buy anything but built in America guns now...

Oh I don't know about that, my new Remington 870 Wingmaster is pretty darn perfect, excellent blueing, nice American walnut stock, smooth as silk action. Maybe stop buying guns built to a price point!!!!!
I own and hunt with mostly brownings,having 6 of them,2 winchester 1300's..main gun is a 12 ga bps 3.5"...i had a remington once....i prefer others..wingmaster is a solid shotgun.I don't buy price point shotguns if i did i would own mossbergs and remingtons..i just prefer guns from Europe.I personally feel they are better quality and that's just my opinion.I do not hate or dislike american guns.I just try and buy guns that i like.They all do the same thing...Hope you had a great season..I know i did...

longislandloco

Folk's liking different guns makes the world go round, makes for fun debates, happy shootin'.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: jepcho on May 30, 2015, 10:26:20 AM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 29, 2015, 10:49:09 PM
I was down between the SXP and the Stoeger M3000.  Went with the Stoeger for a few reasons, some of which can be read about above ^^^^^

But for the same price (actually slightly less) I got a semi-auto that seems to have a good reputation.

How do you like your stoeger?  I have considered that as an option too.  I dont really need a new turkey gun but wanna have a dedicated turkey gun again.  Should've never sold my old one.

This question motivated me to get out and shoot it today.  As expected the Stoeger would not cycle 2 3/4 target loads worth a crap.  But what can I say, the manual says to give it a break in of heavier powered 3" loads first so I cant fault the gun.

It did cycle the 3" long beards pretty well. 

What I like the most is the recoil, in comparison to my SX3 the recoil is significantly lighter when shooting the 3" loads.  They felt closer to the 2 3/4" our of my SX3 than they did 3".  The SX3 (although I love it) does recoil harder.

The groupings where pretty good. Not as high as some of the numbers people in here post. I have the Sumtoy .650 in it and I did not get less than 200 in a 10" circle on 10 shots from 40 yards.  That was WITHOUT cleaning the barrel at all since I left the materials at home. I shot a high of 227 and a low of 206 in the 10"  The 227 was actually in the middle, and the 206 was the first shot.

I like the gun, think it is a winner once I figure out an issue of getting it sighted in.... (ill post in another thread on that)

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson