OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A short season re-cap with pictures

Started by Tail Feathers, May 19, 2015, 07:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

My season wasn't as long or as trip filled as some but I had a little success along the way. ;D  I enjoyed every moment too!
It started with the FL opener in central Florida on a WMA draw hunt for the elusive public land Osceola.  Our ":cabin" was not exactly Spartan.  The house was in the woods on the state forest...complete with a river in the back yard and turkeys in the front yard.

Success in the rain on day three!  This big boy below came in to a food plot where I'd spotted him while scouting the day before opening morning.  Dropped him at 42 steps in the rain after waiting 15 minutes for him to drift close enough.  I was worried his hens, 3 of them about 10 yards from me, would bust me but they didn't.

I came close on day four with one at 45 yards but couldn't quite close the deal.  Day five was a bust when I stopped walking in to pee and the tom flew out of the tree I was standing under.  :P

I returned home to wait over two weeks for the local opener.  We have a one bird limit so I wasn't in a hurry to seal the deal.  It's a good thing because I missed one at 13 yards on day four and it took me three weeks to get my local Eastern.  He gobbled like crazy and flew away from me at flydown.  I followed him into a patch of thinned pine timber and he came back in like a champ.  Gobbled a lot and alternately slipped and strutted in after playing it coy for a short time.  I dropped him at 25 yards and my turkey hunting for 2015 was done.

Not the number of birds some of you get but I darn sure enjoyed myself.  All four in my group got a bird in FL so we consider that trip a huge success.  We got to see some old friends while there and break bread with them.  RutNStrutn checked the WMA out for before we arrived, and even came and spent a couple of nights and helped my handicapped buddy get his first Osceola.  Jim is a class guy and buddy, I thank you so much for all your help. :icon_thumright:
In the end, killing turkeys is pretty danged awesome, but the time with friends and my grandsons is what I'll remember most fondly.

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

falltoms

tomstopper

That's awesome. I have never met RutNStrutn, but I had no doubt that he was a good person. Congrats on the birds, making new friends, and creating fond memories......

kyturkeyhunter4

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

762hunter

Sounded like a great season to reflect on to me, Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudhen

Outstanding!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

alloutdoors

cramerhunts

Congratulations on a mighty fine season! Thanks for the recap and the pictures.

jepcho

Sounds like a heck of a season! Congrats! I hope to go to Florida and complete my slam next spring. Hopefully I will have as much success as you.

mgm1955

ridgerunner

Congrats! Sounds like a great season to me!

steveo

Looks and sounds like a great season to me! Congrats on two fine Gobblers and time spent outdoors with friends . :icon_thumright: