turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Has your NY turkey season got better?

Started by NYlogbeards, May 19, 2015, 05:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

Almost forgot, I saw my first ever bobcat cross the road in front of me on the way to our spot this morning.  Now, there's a turkey killing machine!!! Also, when we set up on the bird this morning we had coyotes yipping in several different directions in the distance but it didn't seem to bother Mr. Mouthy as he started lightening the woods up at 5:00...
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Terry

I would love to see a bobcat, awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

I finally did it on 5/21 in Sullivan county. The bird weighed 17lbs 4oz, 8.5" beard, and .75" Spurs. I was starting to believe it was going to be a shut out for me. He came in with a smaller gobbler following four hens.

TauntoHawk

My buddy still taking ppl out and has called in 3 birds in the past 3 mornings all great 1 1/8 spurred birds or better.

It's typical late season hints though, not a lot of gobbling just get a known bird and call the hens your way and mr round fan comes following right in.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BABS9

Ive called in a few hens the past 2 weeks all which were alone. I even seen 3 hens in a field last weekend all alone.

WNY Bowhunter

Last evening I spotted the bird from yesterday morning, he was heading up to roost in the same area that he has been with one hen close by. The problem is, the past couple of times that I've hunted him he hits the ground and goes away from the calling and up to the neighboring property and stays there gobbling instead of heading out into the planted cornfield where I see him in the afternoons. I didn't see the big boy from our late morning hunt out in the field but saw a hen headed to roost where they typically do. I decided last minute to try the later spot first. We never heard a single gobble. I drove up the road to the other spot and wouldn't you know it...there's our longbeard strutting up the cornfield all by himself at 6:15!!! I believe we will concentrate on tagging him for the rest of season now, but I don't believe he will come in to calling.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Rick Howard

I hunted the three rivers WMA this weekend.  Hunted Friday Saturday from 430-noon.  I'm not sure there is a turkey in that place.  I have never hunted there before so I walked as much of it as I could.  I saw zero sign of turkey.  Obviously I heard none either.

I hunted a place up in Hannibal NY Sunday morning.  Silent there too. 

Headed to Southern Erie and then Allegany county this weekend.  Going to spend a few days in Genesee county starting tomorrow morning.

I had a few chances at jakes early in the year.  Missed a couple opportunities on a Tom in the first week.  I have not heard a gobble from the ground since the second weekend.  Even the hens have been quiet lately.  I've had several jakes come in silent but I have not seen a Tom in a few weeks. 

Terry

I have never seen any sign of turkey at three rivers either.

steinea286

I have been hunting turkeys for not as long as some of you but spend 20 plus days a season in the woods chasing them. Never once have I called in a coyote to my setup or had one hunting me. My question is that, if they are such a problem, why are you guys not hunting or trapping them during their season? It's like they get ignored till "the turkeys aren't gobbling"...... ::)

Dr Juice

Quote from: steinea286 on May 26, 2015, 01:33:24 PM
I have been hunting turkeys for not as long as some of you but spend 20 plus days a season in the woods chasing them. Never once have I called in a coyote to my setup or had one hunting me. My question is that, if they are such a problem, why are you guys not hunting or trapping them during their season? It's like they get ignored till "the turkeys aren't gobbling"...... ::)
I agree with your question, but who has the time between the family and two jobs. I wish my hunting area was a lot closer to home. I will tell you one thing, this is the first year I did not see a coyote in either Sullivan or Ulster counties.

Rick Howard

I am not a foremost expert on coyote. But I have been calling them since 97 or 98 in NY.  I have a fascination with the animal.  I spend countless hours hunting and scouting for coyote (turkey now too).  I hunt and scout year round.  I may designate my trip to hunting a particular species in season, but I take it all in.  I am scouting and hunting, not just hunting.  I am digressing from where I want to go here but felt some of that was pertaining to the following. 

I can say a few things regarding coyote with confidence.  Killing one coyote here and there does little to nothing in regard to reducing population.  Normally they fill in quickly, sometimes only days, after killing one.  Also they are fast learners so you are not able to call an area with enough frequency to continue killing them.  A good caller will be more successful but there is a ceiling. 

Baiting is arguably least effective.  You may be drawing critters in with your bait.  You may be drawing in a transient that was just a passer bye.  Or you may just be keeping residents fat.  I would put this in the same category as the guy/gal who whacks some in deer or turkey season.   

Trapping and land management are you best options.  If you have resident coyote, then there is somethings that keep them there.  If you can remove those things, it will help.  Trapping is kind of like hunting 24/7 for months on end.  A good trapper will make a difference.  A bigger difference if you can get permits to trap right through the spring <---- you may have a hard time getting permits.

If you do not have the time (I do not either) to devote to trapping, than it is quite easy to find a good trapper that will do it for you.  Most will jump at the opportunity to add new ground to their trap line.  I stress "good" because it takes a good trapper to get desired results.  Finding a good trapper is easy.  First find a local fur buyer.  If not themselves, they will know a good trapper or two.  Second option would be to talk to a local taxidermist.  They might be able to help or at least point you in the direction of someone who will. 

For the record I am not knocking folks that take the opportunity to take a coyote in deer season or turkey season (where legal).  I am not knocking folks that like to shoot them off bait piles either.     

Sorry to the OP.  I went way off topic here... but given the chance... I cant resist talking coyote. 

mikejd

I recently read somewhere that you can take 75% of a coyote popultion from  particular area and they can fully recover in 1 year.

Rick Howard

Their liter sizes go up if the numbers go down so, I do not doubt it.  I would like to read that article if you happen to remember where you read it, please let me know. 

njdevilsb

We roosted 2 longbeards and 2 hens tonight.  The one tom was strutting every step of the way and they were both following right in the tracks of the hens still. My dad and I are going to go out before work tomorrow to try and finally seal the deal on one of them.

Dr Juice

Quote from: njdevilsb on May 27, 2015, 10:12:12 PM
We roosted 2 longbeards and 2 hens tonight.  The one tom was strutting every step of the way and they were both following right in the tracks of the hens still. My dad and I are going to go out before work tomorrow to try and finally seal the deal on one of them.
Good luck. Lets us know how you make out.