turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally filled a tag!

Started by wytrat785, May 16, 2015, 07:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wytrat785

I played a guessing game with this guy for almost a month as to which side of the field he was going to use to strut on. He never really had a pattern I could pick up on. He would gobble on the roost but would go completely silent once hitting the ground and totally ignore all my calls. So yesterday morning I keyed in on the hens and where they roosted with the hopes of maybe they would drag him in. Set up about 60 yards from where I knew they were roosting and let them know I was there with some very soft tree yelps. It worked. The lead hen flew down right onto my decoy with the rest of the hens. 12 of them total. At this point I hadn't heard a single gobble in my area. The lead hen came up to my decoy and let it know she was boss with a long purr and wing slap and then moved off 50 yards out from me with rest of the hens and fed. I let about 10 minutes go by and did some very soft yelping, clucks and purrs. I was watching the lead hen make her way back to me when I heard the tom spitting and drumming. He had heard me and spotted my breeder decoy and was coming in. Only thing was I had a very small opening in the brush for a shot on him because of the angle he was taking requiring me to move my gun a bit. All I could think of while doing that was "24 eyes watching you bud"..lol. He came into the opening and I let loose a load of Longbeard #5s at 35 yards. Dropped him like a ton of bricks. It was a great hunt and satisfying due to the hunting this year here in Kansas being pretty tough. It has stormed almost every huntable day I had. Final stats 22lbs., 11" beard, with 1 1/4" spurs.

eddie234

alloutdoors

born2hunt

Congrats on a mission accomplished and nice bird at that.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

West Augusta

Congrats on a fine gobbler.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Very nice bird.  Good hunt.  Congrats.

kyturkeyhunter4

trkycaller

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jamo

falltoms

101st501

ridgerunner

cramerhunts

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase