OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20G or 12G Experienced opinions appreciated

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 15, 2015, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today, you have $1000 in your pocket and you need/want a dedicated turkey gun.... What do you get?

12G
13 (43.3%)
20G
17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

foxred1962

I have both the 20 and a 12 and both of them shoot great. I have an Sbeii that is my go to gun for almost everything and my old 870 is my backup. My wife has an 11-87 sportsman that handles great and once broken in it has been great. I would hunt with any of the three with no issues. The 12 gives you more options all around and in the right model isn't that heavy. I prefer the 12 just because it throws a more forgiving hunting pattern with about any load out to 40.if I was in the market I would be looking for an all black maxus, affinity, sbe, sx3 just see what feels right and have fun.

mudhen

Not a fan of 20 gauge for all-purpose turkey hunting...

Really like my options with a 3.5" 12 gauge, especially since I travel, and can get caught up in some pretty bad weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 15, 2015, 08:41:54 PM
If you have experience on the 20 give me your thoughts please. I am considering picking up a dedicated turkey gun and thinking a 20 might be the way to go.  What kind of results could I expect in comparison to my SX3 12G? Slight drop off, drastic? None?

What is/are the best 20G models under that $1000 mark.  I have until the fall to make a decision really, no rush. If I can catch a end of season sale at a big box store that would be even better.

You might find this of interest http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=771

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 18, 2015, 08:13:42 AM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 15, 2015, 08:41:54 PM
If you have experience on the 20 give me your thoughts please. I am considering picking up a dedicated turkey gun and thinking a 20 might be the way to go.  What kind of results could I expect in comparison to my SX3 12G? Slight drop off, drastic? None?

What is/are the best 20G models under that $1000 mark.  I have until the fall to make a decision really, no rush. If I can catch a end of season sale at a big box store that would be even better.

You might find this of interest http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=771

Thanks,
Clark

Right on. :icon_thumright: luvin' the 20
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

nickp

The 20's are nice.  If you hand load then like a guy said before you can stomp any factory 12 ga load.  You could always keep the choke and shell combo that works best with your 12 as a backup or to mix it up with.  With the right choke and Federal HWT #7 my 20 ga 870 will consecutively kill only 5-7 yards shorter than my 12 ga 870. Both of which will more than do the job if I misjudge by quite a bit.  I did this spring with the 20 and I thumped him good.  But I just have this urge to have one or more of every widely used gauge shotgun (410, 20, 12, and 10).  If I had to pick one all around gun for the rest of my life, it would be the 12 hands down.       

357MAGNOLE

Ended up with the Stoeger M3000. Feels good, d/t receiver and I hate 3 1/2" loads. I'll leave those to you macho men lol. I was excited about the potential of a 20 but I only reload for pistol, and I already have 6 boxes of long beard XR in 12. Thanks for all the help I really dig this forum, we have awesome call makers and guys hunting bare .
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

dirt road ninja

My 12 turns in the 270's with 7's my 20 put up in the130's my 10 gauge beats the both with 330's. I usually carry the 12, sometimes carry the 20 and never use the 10. I carried the 20 for a season a few years ago and enjoyed it, but my confidence is higher in the 12, so that's what I use mostly.

A short barreled 870,Weatherby youth auto, or the Ithaca pump would be where I'd start my search.