North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20G or 12G Experienced opinions appreciated

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 15, 2015, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Today, you have $1000 in your pocket and you need/want a dedicated turkey gun.... What do you get?

12G
13 (43.3%)
20G
17 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

357MAGNOLE

If you have experience on the 20 give me your thoughts please. I am considering picking up a dedicated turkey gun and thinking a 20 might be the way to go.  What kind of results could I expect in comparison to my SX3 12G? Slight drop off, drastic? None?

What is/are the best 20G models under that $1000 mark.  I have until the fall to make a decision really, no rush. If I can catch a end of season sale at a big box store that would be even better.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Fieldturkey

I have hunted with a 20 for the last 5 years and would not go back. Set it up properly and it will do all you need it to.

Strick9

I almost went the 20 ga route, but in the end I figured why not just go 12.

20 guage is lighter for sure but thats the only pro I could find.

12 well you can built it light and short, Huge variety of ammo usually found on most retail stores, shoot 2-3/4s if you want or 3.5 if you want.

If I had equip set up to hand roll 20s that may have swayed the decision a bit more.

If you decide 20 that Weatherby PA 459 get good reviews. I do wish the 12 guage PA had a little more overbore but folks pattern well with it as is. The Franchi also catches my eye in the 20s.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

30_06

Next year I will be running a 20ga exclusively. Have been using one on and off for years. It's lighter, doesn't recoil as much, my kids can shoot it when they go with me, and I don't give up any range.

turkey_slayer

If you hand load the 20 will out perform any factory 12ga load.

CrustyRusty

If you use the gun for waterfowl, I would suggest a 12. Sure you can use a 20 for waterfowl, but for that purpose the 12 is a clear advantage.  For a dedicated Turkey gun I like the sx3 universal hunter in 20 if you want to go that route.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 16, 2015, 01:27:31 PM
If you use the gun for waterfowl, I would suggest a 12. Sure you can use a 20 for waterfowl, but for that purpose the 12 is a clear advantage.  For a dedicated Turkey gun I like the sx3 universal hunter in 20 if you want to go that route.

I have the SX3 Waterfowl addition, just thinking of keeping it strictly a waterfowl gun.

Then picking up another for a dedicated turkey gun.  Looking at the SXP, SA-459, Stoeger M3020

I would love another SX3 but dont need to drop the $$$ on one plus chokes and new loads. I already have 6 boxes of 12G Longbeard XR #6 3" ready to go for next year. So 12G is still clearly in the picture. But the idea of a slightly smaller, lighter and easier to maneuver SG for the woods here is tempting. I spent a good bit of time this morning dodging tree branches and cleaning bark out of my Indian Creek choke.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

CrustyRusty

My buddy has the sa459 turkey model.  I shot it at trap just for fun and it ran flawlessly. For a dedicated turkey gun that gun in 20 would be hard to beat

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 16, 2015, 03:15:33 PM
My buddy has the sa459 turkey model.  I shot it at trap just for fun and it ran flawlessly. For a dedicated turkey gun that gun in 20 would be hard to beat
That is what I am thinking, I am having a hell of a time finding one locally to put my hands on though.

howl

Kinda hard to answer appropriately, because I already have a 20ga I use and I don't believe in dedicated turkey guns. If I lost all my guns in a boating accident, and had to buy replacements, I would figure on a 20 for my main gun and a 12 for back-up and foul weather. I could do both of those under a thousand, easy. This would be to suit me, your preferences might make it otherwise.

SCDieselDawg

If it was my only turkey gun I would go for a 12.  But seeing as you already have one, the 20 will be a good fit.  I'm partial to my 20 gauge Franchi Affinity. 

357MAGNOLE

Thanks for the replies thus far.  I am on the look out for a SA-459 in my local area.  Talked to big box stores, they said I wont see any more coming into stock until next spring more than likely.  I just refuse to buy something without holding it first.

I can use the SX3 up until next spring no issue, but for trekking the woods next spring I want something with a shorter barrel for sure. One of those deals where plenty of research would have helped from the get go.  Either way I have a great waterfowl/dove/squirrel/rabbit gun no doubt. Should last me many years and I don't doubt all the reports on the quality of the SX3. I shot some target loads the other day, cycled great but best part, it barely recoils at all.

owlhoot

Go for the 20 , low recoil slim and light with fed heavyweight 7 it will whack some toms as far as we need to shoot. Plenty to chose well under a grand. A nice double with 2 choke choices would be neat?

KYTURKEY

I see everybody talk about shorter barrels and such. I have no problem with a longer barrel. My 870 has a 28" barrel. I am buying a new gun within the next few weeks. It too will have a 28" barrel. That is just my preference. I like a longer barrel. If I am going they the woods, the majority of the time I am carrying the gun in my hand and not over my shoulder. Unless I'm climbing a steep hill, and then it is strapped  across my body so I can use both hands to hold trees to help climb.

Patrick

357MAGNOLE

The terrain here, although not rocky and super steep.... Requires me to use a sling and put the gun on my back so I have both hands free. I can see a 24" barrel being a world of difference for me.

I just worry about how that affects patterning at 40 yards. Never had a shorter barreled gun, but people here dont seem to be having any problems.