OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help needed for barrel information (Winchester SX3)

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 14, 2015, 11:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Hey everyone,

Long story short my waterfowl addition does not come drilled/tapped to work with mounts.  Tried the speed bead and it would not hold zero worth a crap.  Im on the nervous side of the fence on having a gun smith drill/tap the receiver.  The gun is BRAND new and I don't want to void any warranty or trash a $1000, otherwise perfect gun.

I am seeing around that barrels for the SX3 like many shotguns are interchangeable for the models.  There is even a list on Winchesters website: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=61105&family=028C

But the list does not specify which one is for the cantilever turkey gun.  I want the cantilever turkey barrel in 24" so I can have 2 guns in one. 

Any body have an idea on how to best approach this or any info that could help? The Winchester rep I spoke with (during their lunch hours) said he could not verify if that barrel had the cantilever or not.

I love the gun and don't want to replace it, would be sweet to swap between barrels and have two guns.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

allaboutshooting

If you double click on the model number you can see the specifics of the barrel. The cantilever barrels should show a folding rear sight.

For example, if yours is the 3" model, the 611123253  barrel might the one you want or with the 3.5" you may want the 611053253, depending upon the finish that you need to match.

Once you have the part number, just to be certain that you have the correct one, you should be able to speak to CS at Winchester and verify that you have the correct one for your gun.

If you can't get them to give you an answer, you may want to call John Mann @ Mann & Son Sporting Goods (Since 1946) 618.357.2911 and ask him to look that barrel up for you to make sure you're getting the correct one. He's a full line Winchester/Browning dealer and can also get that barrel for you, probably at a better price than listed.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VAarrowslinger

I think I would just drill and tap the reciever.tje hunter model has the same reciever and come d & t from the factory.  Send just the reciever it to rob roberts if you don't have a local gunsmith you trust.  The cantilever is a great option but more costly

CrustyRusty

I believe the d/t guns from the factory have steel inserts in the holes, at least my maxus did. 

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 16, 2015, 01:23:08 PM
I believe the d/t guns from the factory have steel inserts in the holes, at least my maxus did.

I believe you are correct.  Still an option on the table. I ordered the marlin 336 mount to see how it looks with the Fastfire on top of the SX3. If it looks like crap I wont mount it and will pick up a dedicated turkey gun. Most likely in 20G
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson