OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#2 with my Bow (pics)

Started by Number17, May 13, 2015, 03:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

So far this season I've hunted 4 days and I could have shot a longbeard every day.
The first day I just got greedy and passed on a big tom in hopes of killing his even bigger buddy that refused to break strut and follow the crowd. No kill.

The first Tuesday I killed a big Tom with the shotgun that had 1.25" spurs.

May 8th I took my Dad out for his birthday and he killed a pig with 1.25" spurs.

Today I did a quick glassing of a local field after I got home from work and helped my wife get the kids out the door and off to work herself. There was a Tom with two hens heading away from me and over the horizon into a big green field.
When they disappeared, I made my move to the top corner of the hidden field at a fast walk. I got the fan situated on the bow stabilizer and eased out around the corner of the field to glass for the birds. I spotted a hen feeding about 60 yards out quartering to me so I just sat patiently watching her. Suddenly to my right I saw movement coming up the hedgerow.........It was the Gobbler in full strut and he was coming right past me at less than 10 yards.
I thought for sure I was busted because there was absolutely nothing between us but some knee-high grass, but I got the release on the loop, drew back, and put the pin on the upper edge of his wing butt. He fell straight down in a puff of feathers and barely twitched as I walked up to him. I believe I severed his spine for him to drop that quickly.

He weighed 17.6 pounds.
9.5" beard
1 3/16" spurs that are needle sharp
29" tail fan.

And it goes without saying:

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION......If you decide to do such things.

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

kyturkeyhunter4

Stickbow98

Congratulations!

How do you see/shoot thru the fan? Did you trim the middle feathers?
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

101st501

wytrat785

Congrats on the nice bird. I was wondering the same as Stickbow98 until I really looked at pic #4. I see the notches in the fan. Pretty ingenious setup!

steveo

Way to go !!! Congrats, Nice set up with the fan wouldn't try it on public ground  :z-guntootsmiley:

beagler

Never Misses

tomstopper

Number17

Thanks guys.
Yes, I removed the middle feather and zip tied the the next two together on each side. It gave me just enough to slide a slick trick through
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

fallhnt

Nice...I have been using a similar set up on my bow too. No luck yet for me
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ridgerunner

Nice...congrats...how do you see though the tail fan to shoot the bird?