Killed this bird in SW Ga this morning.

[attachment deleted by admin]

BOFF

Congrats!!

No story?  :(

God Bless,
David B.

goblr77

Here's the story. Friday morning before work I checked this bird to see where he was roosted and flying down. One owl hoot and he gobbled in the tree. That was all I needed. This morning before daylight, I set up a jake and hen decoy in the field where the bird had been the day before. At daybreak I expected to hear him fire off and nothing happened. It was foggy this morning so I figured the birds might be flying down later so I sat tight until 8:00. I heard a bird gobbling probably a half mile off and figured it was the bird I was hunting. Something must have bumped him Friday afternoon. I walked back to the truck and decided to check the field on the opposite side of the woods from the one I set up in. This field is in plain view of a road so I walked along the ditch and peeked up into the field. The longbeard was strutting in the field with two hens and a jake. He had to have roosted close to where he was the day before and just flew down in a different direction. He hadn't made a peep the whole time. I slipped back into the woods and moved to within 175-200 yards of the birds. I pulled out my Lonzo's glass call and gave him a few yelps. The bird fired off right away and started heading toward me. He would walk 5 yards or so and start strutting from side to side. He hung up about 75 yards so I purred a couple of times and he broke and continued my way. I thought about letting him come as close as possible but vehicles were riding by on the road within 100 yards of me and I was afraid the bird would spook. When I thought he was at 40 yards I made the shot. He dropped stone dead. After stepping it off, the distance was about 47 yards. I took a pic of the jake and one of the hens saying a prayer over him. The dead bird is about 5 yards to the right of the jake. It's hard to see him for the foliage.

[attachment deleted by admin]

hobbes

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!

paintbrush

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

nctrkyhntr

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

JVA54

ghillie

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

trkycaller

spitndrum