turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NY season starter

Started by turkaholic, May 11, 2015, 06:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

NY hunting henned up BAD! Just spent 8 days with 4 guys and no birds. First time in 30 years it has been this bad. Every morning birds would rip it up on the limb, fly down and clam up. At least there are still birds alive after the winter from hell. Walked 25 miles in 8 days and never worked one bird. The weather was unreal, summer like, screwed the birds up. Can't wait to get back and give them another shot. My home state of CT is a different game, birds coming in on a string. Got a nice tom 15 min hunt, go figure. Only 200 miles differance from NY spot to CT spot but very different stages in mating.
live to hunt hunt to live

Tunaguy

What county you hunting? We hunt Sullivan and managed 1 bird opening day but the rest of the weekend was deathly silent.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

kyturkeyhunter4

Hang in there it will get better.

MACHINIST

They are almost silent on the ground.On the limb they have been hammering for sure.I do see some more gobbling come around 9-10 for just a little bit but then silent again.We have been on birds almost every day but that's because we have been really scouting them hard between a few of us and also talking to the locals.It pays off having the neighbors call in locations of birds for you on a daily basis!!LOL

BABS9

Same report here gobbling off the limb hit the ground and either gobble for about 30 mins then shut up or completely shut up right off. Some days they start back up around 10. Today he started back up a little after 11. Some days no gobbling at all.

njdevilsb

I'm experiencing the same thing too in Jefferson county.  Our birds are on a strict pattern both morning and evening as well so we have been all over them, but no shots yet.  We have resorted to almost hunting them like deer and just getting to where we think they are going.  It has resulted in 2 close calls but we needed about 15-20 yards more for a good shot.  They change their exit location from one field to another just enough to keep eluding us.

I'm hoping by this coming weekend they will be less henned up and more responsive to calling.

The group we are on actually gobbled quite a bit on the ground yesterday morning until about 8, but they were working away from us following the hens.  My dad tried to sneak in front of them but to no avail.  If they are still real henned up this weekend, I'm going to get closer to the roost than I normally like to and not make a sound.  They are consistently coming into the field in the same spot, but they roost real close to it so it's a bit of a risk.

101st501

I am sure that things will pick up in time.

mikejd

Same thing in Madison and Chenango county. 2 yesrs the same thing. We just hunted 9 days with 3-5 men. Almost never heard a gobble after fly down. And 3 or 4 mornings we had no gobbles at all.

Wrangler95

Very nice going,congrats
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

mgm1955

MACHINIST

I think this little cold snap we are getting tonight into Thursday will kick things into gear for us.I bet this weekend will be good for hunting.

mspaci

wow, I`m in Dutchess, called in 8 so far. I killed opening day.  Playing w/ a certain bird right now that I missed & called in twice w/ no shot. Mike

55dougie

Quote from: MACHINIST on May 12, 2015, 06:37:39 AM
I think this little cold snap we are getting tonight into Thursday will kick things into gear for us.I bet this weekend will be good for hunting.

+1 on the cold snap -- I too think the birds will be fired up by the weekend... keep after them..
Doug. ~ a.k.a. 55dougie

Please check out my web site at: http://drkorn55.wix.com/dougkornsworkshop

LI Outdoorsman

In tioga county they've been gobbling good on the limb and then clamming up...late morning gobbling picking up around 10ish..We killed one bird on the 2nd on a place we have in Chemung..I called him in and my son took the shot...My son and I have been chasing this same group for a week..I'm going back tomorrow for a 2 day hunt..Taking no prisoners..got to get it done!!!

Dr Juice

Quote from: turkaholic on May 11, 2015, 06:24:20 AM
NY hunting henned up BAD! Just spent 8 days with 4 guys and no birds. First time in 30 years it has been this bad. Every morning birds would rip it up on the limb, fly down and clam up. At least there are still birds alive after the winter from hell. Walked 25 miles in 8 days and never worked one bird. The weather was unreal, summer like, screwed the birds up. Can't wait to get back and give them another shot. My home state of CT is a different game, birds coming in on a string. Got a nice tom 15 min hunt, go figure. Only 200 miles differance from NY spot to CT spot but very different stages in mating.
I hunt in Sullivan and ulster counties and this is definitely the worst and most disappointing year in turkey hunting in my past 25-years.