OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

gobbling.......

Started by dawgfrombama, March 26, 2011, 11:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

What do ya'll think is the best temp, weather, humidity, etc. for gobbling?  I've been hunting a turkey all week.  You know one of those aggrivating old ones that gives you fits?  He's been gobbling all week, I went this morning and not a sound.  The weather was hot and muggy.  I think the low here in south alabama last night was in the mid 60's. 

BOFF

Quote from: dawgfrombama on March 26, 2011, 11:28:24 PM
What do ya'll think is the best temp, weather, humidity, etc. for gobbling?  I've been hunting a turkey all week.  You know one of those aggrivating old ones that gives you fits?  He's been gobbling all week, I went this morning and not a sound.  The weather was hot and muggy.  I think the low here in south alabama last night was in the mid 60's.  

I think a bird gobbles when he wants to gobble. Usually I have noticed on a good day of gobbling, the next isn't as good. Maybe they strain their gobblers.  ;D

God Bless,
David B.

OLE RASPY

Stay after him he will gobble again.Hope u get him.

ericjames

Quote from: BOFF on March 27, 2011, 12:09:57 AM
What do ya'll think is the best temp, weather, humidity, etc. for gobbling?  I've been hunting a turkey all week.  You know one of those aggrivating old ones that gives you fits?  He's been gobbling all week, I went this morning and not a sound.  The weather was hot and muggy.  I think the low here in south alabama last night was in the mid 60's.  

I think a bird gobbles when he wants to gobble. Usually I have noticed on a good day of gobbling, the next isn't as good. Maybe they strain their gobblers.  ;D

God Bless,
David B.

That's what I have learned they do what they want,but it seems like when its real humid they are not as vocal 

Reloader

I seem to hear more on a still, clear, and cool morning. 

REBELYELL

Quote from: Reloader on March 28, 2011, 12:11:42 PM
I seem to hear more on a still, clear, and cool morning.  

:agreed:

I agree with Ronny. When I walk outside and look up at millions of stars and it's cool enough for light jacket, it's on most of the time. When it's foggy, hot and humid, windy or cloudy, gobbling decreases a bunch. Now,there is an exception to that and that would be thunder. Don't know why, but they gobble at thunder when they won't gobble at anything else. I love hunting in a light rain if it's thundering because they will hammer.

Basser69

It was raining here Sunday morning and the birds were hammering at the thunder.  :fud:

bowhunter84

Quote from: BOFF on March 27, 2011, 12:09:57 AM

God Bless,
David B.
:agreed:

GAbird

Dogwoods blooming and barometric pressure at or close to 30 in and rising

Trevor2

Quote from: GAbird on March 28, 2011, 02:51:08 PM

Amen. I have always heard if the dogwoods are blooming the turkeys are goobling andthe catfish are biting. I have a question for y'all gooroos. I have heard birds gobble at thunder a bunch but have been told that if it's raining( without thunder) that they will shut up and it's held true so far for me so I was wondering if y'all hear em gobble in the rain?
Strutstopper

shootumindaface

Up here High Pressure, Clear and Temps in the 20s

gob09

saturday my ten yr old girl and i were ridin around and seen a tom pretty close to the road i beeped the horn at him and he gobbled 4 times in the rain i think they gobble at whatever they want to whenever they want too at the time

Basin_hunter

I normally hear the most gobbling on a clear, cool (38-40 degree) morning. But I have learned over the last couple seasons that gobbling can be very unpredictable. I hunted an area last year and the 1st morning it was clear and in the upper 30's. I heard about 10-12 different birds. Over night a thick fog developed and in the same area the next morning, I did not hear 1 single gobble. The only time this year I heard any gobbling early in the morning was on a rainy day before the season opened.
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

archery1

if the dogwoods are blooming its time for some booming :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :turkey2:
Take a kid hunting

Jay Longhauser

Quote from: GAbird on March 28, 2011, 02:51:08 PM

Could not agree more........barometric pressure around 30 and rising they gobble best in my experience.  If its falling they are often much quieter.

Jay