OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

persistance finally pays off, last day tom

Started by turkeyhunter91, May 10, 2015, 07:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

It has been a very tough season for me this year, between guns tearing up, people getting between me and the turkey that is coming in, toms with no beards and the hens always running to the tom when he gets about 75 yards away. Well it finally worked out today about 11:30 it wasn't exactly the way I had planned it but it is a hunt I will definitely remember. We was set up about 75 yards from there birds this morning well they ended up going across the road on another farm we can hunt so we hunted our way back to the truck and was gonna go and circle them, well we circled around to the other farm and they wouldn't make a sound so we went back across the road and one was gobbling so I went back to where I had been this morning and he would gobble down in the holler so I went after him, well I called and he would gobble but wasn't getting any closer so after over an hr I packed up and made a big circle and came in behind him. He never responded any more so I figured he may have gotten some hens and finally some hens started yelping, well after calling back and forth with the hens for a while I decided they had went the other way. I made it back to where I had been calling earlier and there stood 3 toms. They hadn't seen me so I raised my gun and when he got In a opening I shot. He took off running out the hill but one flew back to my right and started putting up in a tree. So I slipped down the 4 wheeler trail to where I could see him,well after slipping around to where I could see him and tell he was one of the toms so I shot him out. Like I said it is not your usual hunt but it worked, he had a 11 in beard weighted 23pound 2 ounces and had 1 spur 1 1/3 and the other was broke off and was 3/4. I killed him with my rossi 20ga that I fixed up last year and federal heavyweight#7s. It has been a great season and I already can't wait till next year, congratulations to everyone who has had success this season.

Greg Massey

TRG3

That's one interesting looking shotgun! Did your turkey shed some feathers? Anyway...Congratulations on sticking with it. I've noticed over the years that being flexible is often key to hunting turkeys and that's what makes it interesting. Trying to outsmart 'ol tom creates some good memories and experience for the next hunt.

tomstopper

turkeyhunter91

Quote from: TRG3 on May 10, 2015, 08:13:28 PM
That's one interesting looking shotgun! Did your turkey shed some feathers? Anyway...Congratulations on sticking with it. I've noticed over the years that being flexible is often key to hunting turkeys and that's what makes it interesting. Trying to outsmart 'ol tom creates some good memories and experience for the next hunt.

When he fell out he started flopping over a big hill. so it was a combination him flopping and me trying to get him stopped before getting all the way to the holler, haha. Yeah I agree about doing what the situation calls for, I know he had my heart pumping just as good as any other bird.

101st501

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kyturkeyhunter4

Congrats! Nice turkey, Good looking shotgun to.

g8rvet

Nice bird and good story.  Most folks would have been home and given up out of frustration.  You earned that bird.  I love those kid of stories.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

owlhoot

mgm1955

trackerbucky

Persistence has killed as many turkeys as good calling...maybe more.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

ridgerunner