OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NY Gobbler down, tagged out!!!

Started by jordanz7935, May 10, 2015, 09:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanz7935

I put a close to my turkey season this morning!! Yesterday i had a bird gobbling good in the pasture i was hunting but he was around a corner and out of sight but within 100 yds. I got him fired up good with the mouth call and gave him the silent treatment.5 minutes later i hear a gobble directly behind me. I slowly turn and lock eyes with a gobbler who was behind and above me @15 yards. He saw something he didnt like and tucked back over the rise never to be seen again.Dang i hate when that happens.Fast forward to today i went back to the same spot and had a bird gobbling in the tree within 175yds. I thought he had flown down up the hill as i heard gobbles getting farther and farther away. I decided to stay patient and stick wth my setup. Around 6:00 i had some hens and a jake fly down 80 yds away so i hit them with the mouth call to see if i could get a gobbler fired up. As im watching these birds i hear the dreaded Putt-Putt,directly behind me,again! I turn and see his read head goin through the brush 20yds behind me.He quickly disappears over the knoll just like yesterday.I said to myself im not gonna let this happen again and as quickly and quietly as possibble shed my vest and started to crawl up behind my setup trying to intercept him. Half way up to the knoll he dissapeared over i hear a few more putts so that gave away his location and i crawled up as fast as possible and got to the crest just in time to see him go behind some briars. I was waiting for him with a Sumtoy choked 870 20 ga when he reappeared from the briars! As soon as he came back into view i let out a few soft yelps and he picked his head up and the 870 barked! He was between 35-40yds and it folded him right up!Im tagged out now but it has been a great season. Now its time to try and get my younger brothers #2 tag filled and hunt with friends.18 lbs,9" beard,3/4" spurs

mikejd

congrats, Great job. Its been real quiet in NY this year.

MACHINIST

steveo

55dougie

Doug. ~ a.k.a. 55dougie

Please check out my web site at: http://drkorn55.wix.com/dougkornsworkshop

zelmo1

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alloutdoors

robbartley

ncturkey

101st501

tomstopper

Quote from: mikejd on May 10, 2015, 09:18:04 AM
congrats, Great job. Its been real quiet in NY this year.
:agreed: My areas have been super quiet so far here in NY. Hope it picks up soon. Congrats on tagging out

turkaholic

Nice job, NY for me has been a big disappointment so far with the birds henned up bad. I'll be back!
live to hunt hunt to live

kyturkeyhunter4

Congrats! On tagging out, that's a good looking turkey to.

NJGobblerHunter

Nice story! Congrats on a great season!