turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally punched a tag in NY...

Started by WNY Bowhunter, May 07, 2015, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNY Bowhunter

The birds here in NY are extremely henned up right now, they gobble a little on the roost then shut up as soon as their feet touch the ground.  I decided to hunt a gobbler that I'd seen for the past couple of mornings strutting out in a cornfield. He's had several hens with him so I decided that my best bet was to set my blind out where the birds have been hanging out and wait for them to show up.  It was extremely foggy this morning when I arrived.  I got set up and the gobbler I was after gave away his location at 5:15 right where I thought he'd be. He gobbled several more times and a hen started yelping about 50 yds from me. Her calling was driving him nuts. About 5:40 he sounded like he was on the ground...the next gobble was closer...the next was only 70 yds away. The hen flew down and everything went silent for the next 20 minutes until I could finally make out his outline in the fog about 100 yds above me in the field...

Decoys...

Gobbler and hen...

I made a few soft yelps on the Halloran Metal Mouth and he answered.  It was a waiting game now...as the longbeard, his little buddy jake and three hens slowly worked my way.  After another 20 minutes or so of intense waiting they finally made it in to 45 yds and I took my shot...

19.5 lbs, 8.5" beard and 7/8" spurs

When I got home I learned that my dad had also killed a nice bird, on his birthday to boot!!!

His was 22 lbs. 8.5" beard with both spurs broken...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

mgm1955

Congrats to both of you!! Great pics!!

alloutdoors

55dougie

Doug. ~ a.k.a. 55dougie

Please check out my web site at: http://drkorn55.wix.com/dougkornsworkshop

TauntoHawk

Nice man, congrats to both you turkey slayers  :turkey2:

I'm headed out tonight with my wife and dad to head to Greene County for our annual 4 day weekend. Its gonna be HOTTTT I dont think i've ever seen a forecast so hot for turkey season

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BABS9

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 08, 2015, 07:44:46 AM

I'm headed out tonight with my wife and dad to head to Greene County for our annual 4 day weekend. Its gonna be HOTTTT I dont think i've ever seen a forecast so hot for turkey season

Thanks. I've got to work the next three days so I'll only get out till 6:30 or so, but I've got another potential victim picked out for the morning.  Good luck, hope the gobbling action is HOTTTT too!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 08, 2015, 09:15:06 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 08, 2015, 07:44:46 AM

Thanks. I've got to work the next three days so I'll only get out till 6:30 or so, but I've got another potential victim picked out for the morning.  Good luck, hope the gobbling action is HOTTTT too!!!

Yeah me too! It'd be nice to kill early and be out of the woods by 9am. She's up to bat for both hers first but I got some good places to start out this weekend for her. I swung into NY last sunday after hunting upstate PA for our opener on Saturday and called a two birds in for friends in PA they went 1 for 2 on kills and misses and Sunday I shot a nice 3yr old right at fly down. Got out to public land yesterday down here and killed a real nice bird so I can sit backa and ejoy calling for her and filling another tag is just icing.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

njdevilsb

Congrats to you both.  Nice birds.

We're going to see if our group is still around tonight for the morning hunt.  We had the same situation as you for the first 3 days of the season.  Decent gobbling on the roost, but not a ton, and silent pretty much once they hit the ground.  We had, at one time, 4 toms and 10 hens and they have since broken up some.  The 2 toms we were hunting had between 3-5 hens with them each morning.

troutfisher13111

Congrats on a good NY bird!

I punched my first tag on a 17lb jake. I thought he was a tom since he was a good bit bigger than the other jake he was with. Yesterday I took my son out and called a nice tom into 40 yards, unfortunately my boy is only good out to 30. Only action I had today was a group of 3 jakes, which of course would happen on a day my son isn't with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick Howard

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to you and your dad

Tunaguy

" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble: