turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally sealed the deal at home. My season is over

Started by Tail Feathers, May 05, 2015, 08:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

2 1/2 weeks into the local season I finally sealed the deal.  We have a one bird limit so I'm done.  Thankfully I have a buddy who has a tag and likes for me to call for him. :toothy12:
It's real late in the season here and gobbling has been waning.  I found a bird Monday who didn't know that tho. :icon_thumright:
He gobbled on the roost like crazy.  He gobbled every six seconds on average.  He flew down and  away from me, crossing a pipeline and going into some recently thinned pine timber, gobbling every minute or so all on his own.  I followed him into the woods and set up in the edge. 
He acknowledged my calling and stopped his march further into the woods.  He hung out about 100 yards or so and waited for the hens.  After about 15 minutes he had closed a bit and went silent.  A minute later he came into sight at 40 yards and broke into strut two times while closing to 25 yards.  I settled the red dot on him and had my 2015 Texas Eastern tom at 7:35am. 
He gave me a great hunt, from all the gobbling to the strutting, I got it all.
About 18 lbs, 6.5" beard (had beard rot) and sharp 1 1/16" spurs.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

TRG3

Good job! It's always exciting but somewhat sad when you tag out 'cause the fun's probably over until next year. Hope you have the opportunity to call for your buddy.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 05, 2015, 08:33:31 PM... 
He gave me a great hunt, from all the gobbling to the strutting, I got it all.
About 18 lbs, 6.5" beard (had beard rot) and sharp 1 1/16" spurs.

That's the best way to end a season.   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Tennessee Lead

Congrats to you!

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Triple Gobble

Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

alloutdoors

Jbird22

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

mgm1955

kyturkeyhunter4

ridgerunner

101st501