turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bobcat rushes a turkey hunter

Started by West Augusta, May 05, 2015, 02:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

This happened about 30 miles from where I live.  Watch the video.
http://www.wtrf.com/story/28981021/hunter-comes-face-to-face-with-bobcat-in-wetzel-county-wv
Might have been a dead kitty if I'd have been there.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

kjnengr

WV TURKEY THUG

mgm1955

Snoodsniper

yelpaholic

whooo baby is right  good grief

ridgerunner

Yeah I'd of had my bead on it's head, when that bobcat started charging he'd of been a dead kitty.

wytrat785

Holy smokes! After that I'd be headed back to the truck to change my pants..lol

TrackeySauresRex

:o I can't believe he let him get that far.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tomstopper

Too close for comfort for me.......

Onpoint

Quote from: West Augusta on May 05, 2015, 02:40:03 PM
This happened about 30 miles from where I live.  Watch the video.
http://www.wtrf.com/story/28981021/hunter-comes-face-to-face-with-bobcat-in-wetzel-county-wv
Might have been a dead kitty if I'd have been there.
About 15 years ago, pops, my uncle and myself had all hunted an in particular bird a time or two thst was stubborn as all get out.  not many fool pops, especially back then and he came up with a plan to make it happen.  We triangular this bird, (not close to one another). Here's the layout. 100 acre hardwood ridge goes out, and on one side it has a bluff that at its highest point is probably 300+ feet down (not thst far straight down, but to the bottoms. Bottoms are approximately 50 yards wide, then a small creek, then crop field. If you walk that bluff out to the end and to where the bottoms is off to your side, gp down the hill straight ahead and An then there's another ridge that's even bigger. Anyhow this particular turkey liked to roost at the end of that bluff. If you set up above him, he'd glide off the bluff down toward the creek, if ya set up by the creek, he'd go up over the hill. he had been known to walk the bluff oit and end up on the next ridge over..

now that you understand the situation, here's the plan. Pops set up below him, my uncle above him, and I went to the next hill over and set up where he liked to go when he took that route. Pops and my uncle were about 250 yards apart and I was about 300 yards from pops. Pops was the only one thst was going to call thst morning. He figured the bird would take off walking the other way like he always did in hopes of the hen coming to him and one of us would be there waiting on him. back then when we all 3 went we woukd pack 2 way radios to avoid walking up on each other while working working a bird.  Anyhow pops starts workin this bird.. things get quiet and he notices the sound of the water running in thre creek slightly changed. his first thoughts were that somebody had slipped in and was wading the creek. I guess he decided he was just being paranoid about somebody slipping in or what, I don't really know what was going through his head but I do know the bird got hott, nobody showed up and pops was in the zone. He was running his old favorite call, an hs strut cutt'n 2.5, and that's when it happened. This cat (which he was completely unaware of) snuck up behind the tree he was sitting against and jumped on his head, it let him go just as quick as he jumped realized he wasn't a turkey. Pops didn't know what th e hell was going on, his first thought was that me or my uncle had snuck up on him ans grabbed him tryin to scare the hell out of him. He couldn't see anythi by cuz his glasses fogged up real bad, he reached up under his mask to take his glasses off and wipe em off,  noticed his face was wet, looked at his hand and it's covered in blood.. he got his glasses back on and saw a bob cat out there about 100 yards away. He ended up having 3 small punctures on the side of his face.  he radiod us and told us what happened, and within 10 minutes, my uncle had a cat out infront of him. I ended up going to another farm while they stayed behind hoping to get something going there. Throughout the day, they had 3 different occasions where a cat came into their setup and once there was 2 cats that came in.

Prior to that day pops had probably only seen 7 or 8 bobcats in his life, my uncle had never seen one and I had only seen 1 at that point in my life.

Sorry for the long post, just brought back some good memories for this ol boy.

101st501

I've called my share of coyotes up but no bobcats, yet.

Narf

I had a very similar incident a few years ago. I got access to a coworkers property but his only condition was he had a bobcat on the property and he didn't want me to shoot it of o saw it. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I'm sitting against a tree with my decoy out in front of me 15 yards. There's a lay down on the opposite side of the decoy about 25-30 yds. It was a pretty quiet morning calling occasionally when suddenly movement caught my eye at the lay down dead tree. I get my focus on it and a bobcat was crawling over it like a snake. I realize what's happening and slowly try try to get my cell phone out to record cause I can't shoot the bast... As I'm moving I swear the cat sees me and just looks at me like I know what you are but don't care cause I'm eating turkey! Soon after the winds twitched my decoy and he touched ground twice before pummeling my weightless foam decoy sending him into a not-so-graceful somersault. He quickly got to his feet baffled, and and took off straight at me. I don't remember thinking but only reacting quicker than I knew possible as I went from curled up on my behind to 3feet in the air diagonally to my right. He missed me narrowly and I think it's only because I reacted scaring him a bit too. Good memory..I wish I got my phone out quick enough to record it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

That's no joke.  This sucker charged and hit my hip trying to sneak up on my decoy.  At least, I THINK he was after the decoy.  He came up behind me, and I had no idea he was there until I heard a crash and something brushed my hip.  I couldn't swing my gun because of all the saplings, but I WAS able to click off a quick shot with the camera.

ncturkey

I never had a Bobcat.
But I did call in two red foxes one time.
I had Golden Eagle fly down and pickup my hen decoy one time. He let go of it and it floated back down to the ground.