OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 #7 has plenty of power...UPDATED PIC

Started by learn2hide, May 02, 2015, 09:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

learn2hide

For whatever reason I've never completely trusted the Hevi 13 #7's for longer range turkey kills probably mental...but today I proved myself wrong....I played hopscotch with a gobbler since last night, trying to ambush him at daylight, but he never gobbled...finally at 9am he started gobbling but was 300 plus yards away down a huge hill....I was able to call him all the way up to about 75 yards, where he skirted me, dropped back into a draw and went the opposite direction....I made a move and circled all the way around and got in front of him...15 mins later he was slipping through the tall grasses in my favorite food plot and when he crossed the 40 yard mark I shot him.  He went down immediately, all was good...quite an adventure.  Then I stepped it off back to my shooting location, turned out to be 49 full steps and I shot through a few weeds and the tall grass in the plot.  I'm not advocating shooting 50 yards but obviously the Hevi 7 pellets had plenty of power....
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

101st501

Strick9

Post up a picture of the killing damage if its not to late!
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

spaightlabs

Range finders always seem to help with this...

Onpoint

Quote from: spaightlabs on May 02, 2015, 11:50:43 PM
Range finders always seem to help with this...
I rarely misjudge yardage within 50 yards by more than 5 yards. Lots of practice over the years. But if I'm in doubt I let em walk. Have let several birds walk thar I should have, could have killed. After getting extremely lucky on one about 15 years ago and a couple seasons later watching a follow up miss at a 50 yard gobbler left him unable to fly I have done everything in my power to make sure when I pull that trigger he hits the dirt hard. I let a gobbler walk off one morning that I thought to be at 45-50, he was 42, he got shot  within minutes of walking off and sported 1.75" HOOKS. I was sick about that one but was rewarded with a 1.5" public land bird ans 1.6875" bird that same season.

One thing I do that really helps me is I visualize 10 or 20 yards At a time.

WyoHunter

Their my favorite 12 ga load. Congrats on your bird!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

stinkpickle

When I hit a bird with hevi #7's at 35 yards and a low flyer penetrated completed through the breast and lodged on the opposite side under the skin, I never doubted their abilities again.

budtripp

I shot the 3.5 7s last year and yep, they knock the snot out of birds. Using 6's this year but only because I have a bunch of them.

bbcoach

I love the 7's.  They put up GREAT numbers out of my 835 and they just Hammer birds.  I killed a bird in South Dakota last year, at a lasered 38 yards, and he never moved after the shot.  At closer ranges, they jelly the head and neck area with minimal floppage.  Congrats on a Great chess match and Great kill.  Hopefully your confidence with the 7's are through the roof now.

Cut N Run

Been shooting 3 inch Hevi 7s for 4 years now and love their performance.  Congratulations on your gobbler.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

kdsberman

That's it, I have got to try these.  That's all there is to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mossyman

I really need to try some of these. I always try and call the bird in as close as possible. But sometimes they hang up.

Jbird22

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 03, 2015, 03:38:24 AM
When I hit a bird with hevi #7's at 35 yards and a low flyer penetrated completed through the breast and lodged on the opposite side under the skin, I never doubted their abilities again.
Same thing happened to me except I was shooting 6's and the range was probably 42-45 yds. Hit him like a pile driver! SOLD on Hevi 6's!!! I'm sure 7's are hard on em too!

JakeT

Love them. Been shooting them  since they came out and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

learn2hide

Quote from: mossyman on May 03, 2015, 08:07:25 PM
I really need to try some of these. I always try and call the bird in as close as possible. But sometimes they hang up.

^^^ Exactly!!  I agree with what one other poster said, and I've let more than one walk that was too far...including this one earlier in the morning...when he was skirting the terrace he was about 50 yards for a split second but moving quickly...not going to risk that.  An hour later when I shot him at what turned out to be a similar distance, he was standing still head stretched up.  I'm just glad the work I did on the range paid off with a quick kill, last 5 birds I've killed before this have all be inside 25 but with the goose chase this bird lead me on, when he popped his head up in an opening in the grass and vines I let him have it. I didn't take a picture of a the kill damage but I can tell you that I found 5 pellets in the head itself and there were several in the neck too... Here's a pic from the footage, if you look close you can see him with a cedar right behind him, and with the craziness I was also not able (forgot/didn't try  :D ) to zoom the camera in at all...Killed with a 3.5" Hevi 13 #7 out of a Winchester Super X2 and .675 SumToy Customs choke
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!