9 (29%)
No
21 (67.7%)
Maybe
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: June 01, 2015, 05:57:51 PM

wytrat785

After hunting turkeys all these years I finally saw my first bearded hen up close and personal this morning. She pitched down just 50 yards from my set at 6:10am this morning and came right to my decoy at 20 yards. She had a nice rope on her, about 8 inches long and diameter was that of a swisher sweet cigar. I almost pulled the trigger but didn't. I kept thinking about all the poults she has and will raise..lol. It sure was fun watching her go all Jackie Chan on my Avain-X breeder decoy, spinning it like a top. This is one moment I wished I had a Go-Pro.

jepcho

That's awesome. Cool story. I wonder if it genetics plays a roll in that because I've talked to a lot of people who have never seen one. I've seen them several times over the course of enough years that it couldn't have been the same one every time. I just figured maybe the birds in the area I hunt are more likely genetically to have them. Idk

bbcoach

Two years ago, I had a bearded hen come in to 3 yards.  She stayed around for about 10 minutes before she walked off.  I had plenty of chances to shoot her but I gave her a pass.  Great hunt!  Beautiful Sight!

chatterbox

Saw one last Saturday during NH's youth hunt. Very cool stuff!

Gooserbat

I've saw 4 in the last 3 days.  My dad is wanting to get one for the wingbones to build a call.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jordanz7935

Had a bearded hen fly down into my decoys yesterday. Had a thin 4-5 inch beard on her.Ive had the oppurtunity a handfull of times over the years but never could pull the trigger on one in the spring. Only way i would shoot one is on a fall hunt.

wytrat785

Quote from: bbcoach on May 02, 2015, 06:36:38 PM
Two years ago, I had a bearded hen come in to 3 yards.  She stayed around for about 10 minutes before she walked off.  I had plenty of chances to shoot her but I gave her a pass.  Great hunt!  Beautiful Sight!

She stayed around for about half an hour working my decoy over. All puffed up, big as a house, purring, craning her neck out and slapping my decoy with her wing tips. Like I said, I wish I had it on video to show people why I love turkey hunting!

TRG3

I'm voting with those not shooting a bearded hen. I just can't justify several possible generations of turkeys that would not be born if I shot a hen...and "yes", I've had the opportunity to do so and was glad that I passed. While others may take another action, that's what I feel comfortable with.

2eagles

She better shave before the last day of the season because I'd really be tempted to shoot her to fill my tag. No, I don't think I'd shoot.

snapper1982

Have seen and had opportunities at a couple dozen over the years. Seems eastern kansas where I hunted has a lot of them. Seen 3 in one flock of 11. 2 days of hunting and seen 6 or 7 different ones.

wytrat785

Yeah snapper1982 that's where I'm hunting around Lake Perry. My buddy said the same thing that he's noticed more of them in the last 5 to 10 years here. As for the poll, I'm not trying to start a debate or anything like that. It was just me being curious about others here that had a similar situation  ;). May have been a different story for me if I needed to fill my tag and it was the last day of the season.

101st501

Saw one last year but can't shot them in Georgia

Strick9

A hen has lady parts period for me, Mamma Turkeys will always get a pass beard or not with me. But where legal I ain't knocking anyone that pops one I reckon.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

captin_hook

I shot one a few years ago. So what. She had a thick 8 in beard. 1st one I've ever seen hunting.  She was legal. And she tasted great fried up. The turkey population in my hunting area is great. Ain't t hurting the pop any more than the coons or yotes

Onpoint

Quote from: wytrat785 on May 02, 2015, 05:57:51 PM
After hunting turkeys all these years I finally saw my first bearded hen up close and personal this morning. She pitched down just 50 yards from my set at 6:10am this morning and came right to my decoy at 20 yards. She had a nice rope on her, about 8 inches long and diameter was that of a swisher sweet cigar. I almost pulled the trigger but didn't. I kept thinking about all the poults she has and will raise..lol. It sure was fun watching her go all Jackie Chan on my Avain-X breeder decoy, spinning it like a top. This is one moment I wished I had a Go-Pro.
I had an opportunity at 1 this spring. Although I think it would be cool to have a bearded hen mounted, it's way cooler to hunt all them gobblers she will hatch