Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I broke the silence in NY this morning!!

Started by jordanz7935, May 02, 2015, 01:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanz7935

After a bad opening day where I had 2 hunts ruined by,well i guess you could call them"turkey hunters", I was back after em with a vengance today. Luckily for me i had the place to myself today. They gobbled good on the roost but quickly went silent shortly thereafter. I had a hen pitch in to my setup around 6:30 but it was a bust other than that. So i decided to get up and head up the pipeline to the top of the property. Once i got to a green field up top i heard a bird gobble within 200yds. I put out my hen decoy and quickly set up.They gobbled back to my pot calls a few times but seemed uninterested for the most part. That is until i put my Hooks Executioner 2 in and let out some sweet yelps.A few series of yelps later and their quickly approaching gobbles told me they were coming! Problem was they were coming in on my bad side in the woods and there was a ton of brush in my way.I finally spotted them coming in over my left shouder slowly walking through the woods. They were 10 yards directly behind me when they finally came into the field. They definately saw my hen decoy and focused on it as they made it into the field.I had gotten myself partially turnd around when they were in the thick brush but i had one major "swing" to make to get my gun on one of the birds.I waited til they were not loking my direction then i quickly swung my gun around,centered my sights on the gobbler bringin up the rear, and folded him @ 35 yds with a 3.5" Longbeard #4 from my 935.He didnt even flop.It was a great hunt and it really felt good to seal the deal after yesterday's events.18lbs 8&3/4" beard 1"spurs.

MACHINIST

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

zelmo1

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kyturkeyhunter4

mikejd

Congrats. Nice bird.

Been real quiet here in NY. Havnt heard a gobble yet.

alloutdoors

beagler

Never Misses

jbrown

WNY Bowhunter

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

tomstopper

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase