OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Minimal space spring tukey hunting. Tactics? Decoys?

Started by rodre01, May 01, 2015, 09:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodre01

I am a beginner in turkey hunting so any helpful tips would be appreciated.
We live on only almost 14 acres in middle TN so I don't have a ton of room to hunt and move around.
My main hunting spot which I have not turkey hunted a lot is the back portion of a I'd say between 6 and 8 acre(see picture) field with pretty much all woods surrounding with an old fence surrounding the field. Turkey could get through in certain places. You cant see any buildings from some of that end.

The only turkeys I have seen while spring hunting this spot I think, was only a hen yesterday morning and another this morning that came in. I put a photo on this post of the field, That will hopefully work. I'm trying to be able to bring turkey in with what I have. Not a lot of room to move around. Especially because also the season is ending soon over here.
Using a decoy. There might already be a post on this but I've heard that a tom might come maybe to the edge of a field were your calling and if he doesn't see any hens may just leave(if I recall right). Or he might come and see a decoy hen and just wait there for her to come to him. Or he might come in to the decoy? Any tips would be great.\Should I use a decoy should I get a certain kind of call? What all?

Hopefully this will be able to help others that have limited space.

Dtrkyman

Are you hearing birds gobble in the am?  I would definitely concentrate where there is a gap in the fence or where you are seeing the hens come in and out!

With a quality blind do not be afraid to put it smack in the middle of the field with dekes where they can be seen from anywhere in and around the field! 

2eagles

I'd hunt about 20 yards from the places they can get through the fence. They certainly go over if they want to, but the gaps are a better bet.
You probably don't have a blind, so cut some branches to make a natural blind and sit there as long as you can legally hunt.
I would use decoys. I think a single hen would be best this late in your season.
A box call or push-pin would be a good choice if you don't know how to run a mouth call. If you are calling, DO NOT over call. Make Tom think you are interested, but not enough to go to him.
Good luck.

rodre01

Yes I have heard some gobblers in the morning.
I have a blind out there.
Since I don't have almost any camo the blind is best for me.
I should go out and get some though.

Thanks a lot!

rodre01

Actually the season doesn't end till the 17th over here.