OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Went out with a bang!!!

Started by Jbird22, May 01, 2015, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

This has been one of the worst, best seasons of my life. As I told jblackburn in a few pm's earlier this season, our #'s are WAY down this year. I've only heard two different gobblers (in the swamp where I hunt close to home) that I know of all season. They've gobbled a good bit but have responded poorly to calling. I know I'm dealing with older birds but still...

Fast forward to this morning. I heard one a daylight but he wasn't exactly where I thought he'd be. So I didn't waste time and moved back around to where he was gobbling. Hmmm, well the foliage is so thick now that he ended up being about half as far as I thought he'd be. I get to a spot where I hoped he'd pitch down but quickly realized it wasn't the right spot for that. So I decided to not call to him and wait for him to fly down and gobble on the ground. He did but gobbled across backwater from me. I hurried to the little jon boat and paddled across. I walked in to a pretty ridge and called but when he answered he was halfway between me and the nearest land, or so I thought. Some time passes of me calling to him thinking he'll pitch from the small island he was on to me but it didn't happen. Well, as I'm sitting there listening I hear splashing in the water to my 2 o'clock (turkey is 11 o'clock) and see deer swimming the backwater heading my direction. Deer have been a huge nuisance to me while turkey hunting this year..blowing, splashing in water, you name it. I thought 'here we go again'. They didn't disappoint and came to within 10 yds and the lead doe starts blowing and blowing and blowing. I just know that shut it down but the turkey actually gobbled at it. They left to my 4 o'clock blowing as they went. I decided to re-situate my legs and as I move I look across the backwater about 100 yds and I see the turkey. CRAP!!! Did he see me is the first thing I could think of. He eased off not looking spooked so I gave him a few minutes, called, and GOBBLE!!!! Good, I didn't spook him. It didn't take me but just as second to realize what land the turkey was on. It was just a narrow strip (maybe 20 yds wide) between backwater. So I made sure he had moved out of sight and and backed out toward the boat to see if I could get the finger he was on. The current was flowing pretty hard in opposite direction of the finger so I decided to see if I could wade to it. After about 10-15 mins of wading through belly button deep water I found the ridge I was looking for. As I'm easing to the ridge I call just to check him and GOBBLE!!! Yep, he's still there. So as I'm easing to the tree I had picked out, I spot a FRIGGIN' DEER about 15 yds in front of me in the direction of the turkey. At this point I'm thinking that I've worked that hard for a deer to blow it. Well, the Lord blessed and sent the deer on across without causing any commotion at all. I crawl in the mud and water up to the tree and set up. I call and the turkey answers about 80-100 yds out. At this point I'm feeling good about my setup. I call again. NOTHING!! I call a little louder again..NOTHING!! Did I bump him? Well I get the feeling that he's broke and coming in so I just clucked and purred a few times and GOBBBBBBBLLLE!!! OH YEAH, he's getting close! Soon, I see him strut into view. He crosses my good shooting lane at about 50 yds but the finger is so narrow that I'm all but sure he'll give me another chance. I gave him a soft yelp and back to my shooting lane he comes around 40 yds and the rest is history. The 870 SM barked and the Hevi #6's hit him like a pile driver! Man, what a great hunt on the last day of season here in MS! He had a 10-3/8" beard and spurs were 1-1/16" & 1" hooks!

My uncle went with me this morning but stayed on the other side of backwater in case the bird pitched that way. He was about 150 yds from me when I shot and heard the whole show. It was just an awesome morning that I'll not soon forget!

RutnNStrutn

I give you an "A" for your effort!! Man, you earned that bird!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats!! :icon_thumright:
Hope you get your revenge on those deer this fall!! ;D

Jbird22

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 01, 2015, 04:29:47 PM
I give you an "A" for your effort!! Man, you earned that bird!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats!! :icon_thumright:
Hope you get your revenge on those deer this fall!! ;D
Ha! The crazy thing is, we don't have that many deer at all. It just seems like they are everywhere I go while I'm turkey hunting. It's probably the same 3-4 deer.

Gooserbat

Well done and way to go for hanging in there
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

born2hunt

Thats some interesting terrain your hunting there, just goes to show that every area has its own challenges. Congrats on a well earned bird.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

alloutdoors

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Snoodsniper

TRG3

Congrats!! If you continue to hunt that area, I'd suggest some camo scuba gear to replace the boat, making your much more versatile.

beagler

Never Misses

101st501

Birdyblaster

Great story!  The harder you have to work for them, the more satisfaction you get when it comes together.

trkycaller

zelmo1

Nice job, patience is the winner again. Congrats