turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally connect in MO!

Started by Thundermtn, April 30, 2015, 08:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundermtn

I've been chasing this big three year old since the first day of season. Been cut off by hens going to him six times while I  could see him and off they went. Got in REAL close to his tree this morning and made a few soft tree yelps and three birds hammered.

Soon as they hit the ground they where just out of range just over the ridge top from me. Here come the hens again, out of frustration today when that old boss hen walked by me again to go get him I just stood up and started walking up the hill right to him. She didn't fly for about 45 seconds, she just sped up to try to beat me again. Finally took my hat off and waived at her and she cutt as she took off flying. He gobble at her cutting so I just sat down , ripped of a few purrs and putts with my Platz crystal/walnut. He popped his head over the ridge at 15 yards and that was all she wrote. Took me eight days to get the one I wanted but man did it feel good to load him in the vest and remember why the snaps were loose. So when I have a bird in it the thing fits perfect.

zelmo1

tomstopper

alloutdoors

Bill Cooksey

Great story, and a great lesson. Too many folks think a hunt is over if a hen spooks. They either sit paralyzed while she walks by or don't spook her enough to make her get the heck out of there quick. Good work.

Thundermtn

Still learn something every season. Wasn't sure what the outcome would be when I stood up, but I knew if I didn't do something I was going to get skunked again.

24#'s, 1&1/8" spur, other spur was broken, 10&3/8" beard.

SteelerFan

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 30, 2015, 11:20:20 AM
Great story, and a great lesson. Too many folks think a hunt is over if a hen spooks. They either sit paralyzed while she walks by or don't spook her enough to make her get the heck out of there quick. Good work.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
I had a hunt like that this season. The gobbler was roosted further down the ridge from 2 hens. I watched the hens fly up the night before. When he started gobbling and I knew he couldn't see me, I walked out in the open and spooked the hens, who flew down to the bottom of the holler. After that, I called him right in.

jepcho

Awesome!! Great story too! I know there are times when you don't wanna spook a hen but other times when it is the best thing you can do. I wish there was a way to make hens disappear on the days I'm hunting, but still be there to get bred when I'm not. Lol

RIO GRANDE MAN

Congrats on running the hen off to get a shot!

beagler

Never Misses

Thundermtn

Soon as I picked up my kid from school today the first question was "Are we having turkey nuggets tonight?" Yes we are. "Hooray!"

He was darn goon table fare too. All I could see was his head before I touched it off so I spent zero time picking out shot. Probably have more tomorrow night also.

stinkpickle

NOICE!!!  The hens have been especially b#tchy this year.  I love to hear stories like these.   :icon_thumright:

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gooserbat

Nice work.  We've hat fits last two days because of hens
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.