News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite/Best Pot Surface?

Started by taylorjones20, April 29, 2015, 09:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

rtsj

I have about every imaginable surface there is including a custom Carbide pot.  I always seem to carry the same 2 though. A Lights Out slate and a Primos Power Crystal. I have killed more turkeys with that Power Crystal than all the others combined.

Roy

jblackburn

Glass and slate. I use glass a lot for blind calling or if it's windy, slate the rest of the time
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

hoyt

My favorite and best sounding call is a small turtle shell with crystal. I had a custom that never was right..the sounding board didn't work and the call was flat. So I took the top pc of round crystal out of it and glued  it onto the turtle shell with Bondo..fit perfect.

I can wad about half a handkerchief into it and really get some soft, quiet, calls. Take it out and get loud raspy yelps with good double note. Best and easiest purrs of all my calls also.

Bigeclipse

favorite so far is slate.  I own slate, crystal, copper and aluminum.  The copper and aluminum are nice because you can run them in a light rain with a plastic tipped striker.  For whatever reason though, I always get responses to this one slate call I have.  It may just be because I use it the most haha.  I think turkey calls are a crap shoot though.  If they sound somewhat like a hen then it will be the gobblers mood to whether he will answer or not.  For me, the best call is the one I can run easiest which now is a diaphragm since I don't have to use my hands.  My approach is, use my diaphragm combined with a slate to sound like multiple hens.  If I get no response I will move on to some other calls.

Muzzy61

if i had to pick only one, it would be slate.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

Slate, crystal, glass, aluminum, copper, they all have pros and con's.  Find what you like best because your personal confidence trumps the opinions of others.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Snoodsniper

I've always preferred glass but my Yingling copper will see some action this year without a doubt.

ridgerunner

West Augusta

Always been glass and ceramic until this year.
This year I really liked copper and titanium.
My birds wanted a high pitched call this year.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Thundermtn

Glass, not that I think it sounds the best but my birds will answer glass over another surface probably 3/1.

Dtrkyman

My favorite is slate, but I really want to try a copper!  My slate may have lost its mojo, birds do not seem to be responding as well!

zelmo1

I have a Supreme "Double Suicide" by Steve Reeves, glass over a mini slate and both sides are sweet sounding. It takes a while to get, but they do sound sweet. My favorite so far, I will keep trying new pots. Try a few and make up your mind then. Good luck, call collecting is fun.

bghunter777

I feel as tho I am above average running a pot style friction call and personally I have never found one that replicates the sound of a wild turkey better than a high end Cody Slate.

Rio Fan

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 30, 2015, 11:19:50 PM
Slate, crystal, glass, aluminum, copper, they all have pros and con's.  Find what you like best because your personal confidence trumps the opinions of others.

Well said!