News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using multiple calls?

Started by Bigeclipse, April 29, 2015, 02:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

All,
     I know most of you may carry a slew of calls.  I know some people will try a call, and if no response, maybe move on to another call.  My question is three fold.

1.  Do any of you use multiple calls at the same time to sound like multiple turkeys?  I realize this may be difficult with 2 hand calls but you could potentially use a mouth call and slate call at the same time sounding like a group of hens?
2.  How often do you all call?  I know this may vary depending on the toms mood or time of season, but lets say you haven't heard a gobble yet.  How often will you blind call?
3. Do you all find a lower tone raspy hen call works better than a higher pitched hen call (or vice versa) or pitch/tone does not matter since every tom may react different?  I am looking for an "overall" answer here....maybe you have better luck with one over the other.  Again, this is not a type of call question or brand of call, but simply the pitch of the call.

born2hunt

1). Yes, I will often run a pot and diaphragm at the same time. Sometimes just clucking but  occasionally calling aggressively with 2 calls to a hard headed hung up gobbler has closed the deal.

2). 10 minutes or so apart usually.

3). I like a raspy call but sometimes it's a clear high pitch call that fires them up, you just never know for sure.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

g8rvet

I often run two calls.  When hunting with someone, we will sometimes run a call over the other guy.  Like one hen is fired up. 

Depends where and when, but 10-15 is about right.  Windy days, like really windy, I call a little louder and a little more frequently - like often right on the 10 mark.  I vary the calls and usually only yelp about every 30 minutes or so, with clucks and purrs and occasional cutting. I tend to cutt when I am getting ready to pick up and move on, try to get a more excited call to elicit a gobble.

I prefer a raspier call, but keep one on my vest that is pretty high pitched and have used that too.

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

Yes I will a lot of the time especially on up in the morning starting around 10 clock till about 2 . Box call and diaphragm. I do this about 30 min. Apart...

wvmntnhick

I'll use a "slew" of calls if the birds aren't actively gobbling. I've found on days that a slate doesn't get them going, the higher pitched aluminum often will. It's only used while the bird is at a distance. When he's closer I'll switch to a diaphragm call. As for calling blind, Most of my calling is blind calling. We don't have a ton of success in the mountains right at daylight. From 10:30 on we'll do much better. The lull in between lends itself to a lot of blind calling waiting for one to get fired up enough to rise to the occasion.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 29, 2015, 05:52:27 PM
I'll use a "slew" of calls if the birds aren't actively gobbling. I've found on days that a slate doesn't get them going, the higher pitched aluminum often will. It's only used while the bird is at a distance. When he's closer I'll switch to a diaphragm call. As for calling blind, Most of my calling is blind calling. We don't have a ton of success in the mountains right at daylight. From 10:30 on we'll do much better. The lull in between lends itself to a lot of blind calling waiting for one to get fired up enough to rise to the occasion.

Here in NY we can only hunt until 12(noon) which stinks!  I have noticed that if I don't get a bird in the early a.m. (basically right off the roost) then I have to wait until around 10 before I start getting responses, which only gives me 2 hours more of legal hunting time.